Do it yourself porting

klemet banshee

You could buy a flobee and cut your own hair too... But WHY man WHY... Send them bitches out.

lol :biggrin: I hear its well worth the $$... But hey if you gots the tools and the talent? Just my .02

LMAO....a Flobee........I needed a good laugh. Someone has spent some late nights watching the TV infomercials......

Anyways. I agree....send them out or take um locally. I have ported heads for street cars, and event that is tough. You get a wrong angle on a 2 stoke, and your done.

BTW.. My first post here. Thanks for all the info guys..

Peace from Miami...

LMAO....a Flobee........I needed a good laugh. Someone has spent some late nights watching the TV infomercials......

Anyways. I agree....send them out or take um locally. I have ported heads for street cars, and event that is tough. You get a wrong angle on a 2 stoke, and your done.

BTW.. My first post here. Thanks for all the info guys..

Peace from Miami...

Welcome to the addiction :cool:

I did mine and they work great. I used a stage II port template from race logic. The only thing I can say is if you are not a patient person you WILL screw it up. You must be patient and slow and methodical about the amount of material you are removing. You can always remove more later, you can't put it back if you screw up. I ended up taking the better part of a weekend to do mine.

I used to have alot of fun porting on my cylinders and then go out and ride my bike and race my buddies to see how my bike ran and then come home and tear my bike down and change the porting alittle and then put my bike back together and go out and try it again.This to me was half the fun in riding.

The exhaust port moved approx 1MM up with the template from race logic. The template I bought was for a fast trail (Stage II) port. I would expect the super sport port (drag - stage III) will be even more aggresive. I have not moved my transfers yet.

Edited by nameehsnab

I agree, there is no reason you cant learn to do anything yourself. Especially in this case, I've seen it done before. I never pay the man if I can help it unless the cost of the tools is more than paying the man.

i say the same thing .i am also tryin to port my own cylinders do your homework and it will work out for the right person

No exspert here on this, but if you are really looking to do it your self ive got a lot of information to really do the job along with some programs to do all math needed for the job. all on digits I will tell you that ill not touch my jugs even equiped with this info. Theres not alot involved in doing it just knowing what you want to accomplish from your work I will be using this info to do some porting on an old blaster and a few snowmobiles. Once complete and i learn from mistakes made i may go to work on one of my banshee engines. But Ive got a few of them to toy with I would never attempt to go at it if it was the only one useable> And from what i have seen its much safe to only blueprint what it was built for matching joints, gaskets and removing crap casting flaws that are in the port paths. but that only brings it up to manufactor specs. Dont fool with the port windows or angles at all inless u really now what you want. Theres alot of math involed in that along with percision, A dreaml tool even with atachments can only get so far and is not really built correctly for the percision needed to accomplish a good port job.inmost cases

But if you are interrested in the info ive got about 1.5 gigs of books programs and other related infomation to read. It will give the infomation one needs to do the job but once you read the information you will see its alot more cost effective to just send off your jugs to someones whos been doing them a while

If you want to port your own cylinders and had no idea were to start than i think buying templates is a good way to start.The first time i ever ported a set of cylinders i copied a set of my buddies that ran good,then after that built up my confidence a little i got a drill and added boost ports and made the drilled holes bigger with a die grinder and dremel. But you have to be very careful because you can break through the aluminum on the out side of the cylinder by the bolt holes,if you take your time and are careful you should be allright.I did break through on a set of cylinders that i was going all out on, and i repaired it with JB weld it works well as long as you prep the surface right and get it clean.I also use JB weld and epoxy to smooth out and fill in spots for better air flow and for case stuffing.If you breakthrough on the exhaust side by the water jacket the you would have to get it welded or start over because you cant use JB weld or epoxy on the exhaust side of the cylinder too hot.

I am sure there was a time that everybody told Passion, FAST and HJR to send it out to "the man"... Instead they started to learn and get experience, of cause now they all have software and stuff...

If you're going to just port it once, send them out, if you're going to do it to more motors and LIKE what you're doing, you have to start somewhere...

• Like 1

• 8 years later...