hydrolocked

so i went to the track yesterday and made 2 warm up passes and then i made a full pass but on the full pass something did not feel right.. so i get to the pits and let it cool down and then i went to kick it over and it did not start so i kick it on more time and it locked up on me.. so i get it home and pull the juggs off and the left rod is twisted and both cases are full to the top with meth. so im guessing i hydrolocked it? so could i have been to fat with my mains? any input would be a help.

IMG_1251.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would lean on the side of floats being stuck open or not adjusted correclty. That sucks bro...too early in the season for that shit.

Are you runnin a pump, or gravity? What mains, dumps, what types of pj's, etc. Any pics of plugs you were running? I would also like to know if it ever cleaned out? Should have ran like shit if at all if it was filling up w/Alky???

dumps are .125 and mains are .110 plugs look brand new only that one pass on them. gravity 35 pwks and i mite not have cleaned it out all the way.... i ran it 2 week ago with .116 mains in it and it ran great with outdoor temps in the 50s but this time out temps were in the 70s..

Edited by joee20002

Not cleaning out the motor on the line wont hydro lock the motor.. It will just run rich off the line. What float bowls were you using? I bet they were billet?

Ya they were billet...I would say the floats stuck open and filled the crankcase.

Honestly this really is not as bad as you thought......Just get another stock crank, have it welded and you are ready to run. Probably cost less than 200bux to be back up and running!!!!!!!!

I just checked back through your build pics and I saw the billet bowls. The billet bowls are notorious for this happening.

They dont have a overflow tube. So it was most likely as Damian said.. either the neadle and seat stuck open or the float height was incorrectly set.

Had this happen to me at the begining of last season.. But I saw it happen so I was able to catch it before I bent a rod. I was sucking fuel out of my cases at the track and cleaning my carbs for 2 hours. A good way to see if its overflowing is to watch the fuel level in the PJ line..

I just checked back through your build pics and I saw the billet bowls. The billet bowls are notorious for this happening.

They dont have a overflow tube. So it was most likely as Damian said.. either the neadle and seat stuck open or the float height was incorrectly set.

Had this happen to me at the begining of last season.. But I saw it happen so I was able to catch it before I bent a rod. I was sucking fuel out of my cases at the track and cleaning my carbs for 2 hours. A good way to see if its overflowing is to watch the fuel level in the PJ line..

what does the fuel level look like in the power jet lines? ya im just going to get a new crank and pistons and get her back running.. so could being to fat on the mains done this?

what does the fuel level look like in the power jet lines? ya im just going to get a new crank and pistons and get her back running.. so could being to fat on the mains done this?

With my pwks when it was overflowing.. the level of the fuel was about 2 inches above where the carb and bowl meet.

So.. with the valve is off.. the level of the fuel is pretty close to where the carb/bowl meet. When I turned on the fuel.. I could see the level rise about 2 inches I knew it was draining into my cases . If i tunred the valve on.. and the level didn't change.. I knew my seats were good.

no.. It was not from rich jetting.. The pass didn't feel right cuz the stuck needle and seat.. Then when you parked to let it cool down it filled the cases up. When you kicked it over it pulled the fuel up into the combustion chamber and thats when it hydro locked.

With my pwks when it was overflowing.. the level of the fuel was about 2 inches above where the carb and bowl meet.

So.. with the valve is off.. the level of the fuel is pretty close to where the carb/bowl meet. When I turned on the fuel.. I could see the level rise about 2 inches I knew it was draining into my cases . If i tunred the valve on.. and the level didn't change.. I knew my seats were good.

no.. It was not from rich jetting.. The pass didn't feel right cuz the stuck needle and seat.. Then when you parked to let it cool down it filled the cases up. When you kicked it over it pulled the fuel up into the combustion chamber and thats when it hydro locked.

damn.. lol ok kool thanks 4 the info i guess i need to re adjust the bowls whats the best way to adjust them? i thoght i did them the right way...