porting my cylinders

austin

Hey guys Im goin to do a little port work on my stock cylinders myself and needed a couple reference pics to get a good idea of your port work looks like. Im not doin anything real serious just some work on the intake and transfers and polish the exhaust ports. Ive done alot of research and have seen all the recent threads on porting here. Ive got the necassary tools and plenty of ability so I just need some good pics to go off of. I absolutely love this site and have always found the info I needed so Ive never needed to post. Thanks guys!

Here are a couple of my cylinders. Just so you know the difference between a good port job and junk cylinders can be just a 1mm on the transfers.

Here is my suposedly MX port job by Victory Motor Sports in Moundridge KS

BansheePorting2.jpg

BansheePorting1.jpg

Here is my Ported Cylinders by www.patriotracing.net

They are 4mill cylinders so the ports hights will be a little lower to accomidate the +4mm stroke.

PatriotRacingIntakePorts.jpg

PatriotRacingExhaustPort.jpg

I wouldnt opean the intakes up like the top cylinders. I dont have a lot of confidence that the people that ported them knew what they were doing. They were on my machine when I bought it.

Here are a couple of my cylinders. Just so you know the difference between a good port job and junk cylinders can be just a 1mm on the transfers.

Here is my suposedly MX port job by Victory Motor Sports in Moundridge KS

BansheePorting2.jpg

BansheePorting1.jpg

Here is my Ported Cylinders by www.patriotracing.net

They are 4mill cylinders so the ports hights will be a little lower to accomidate the +4mm stroke.

PatriotRacingIntakePorts.jpg

PatriotRacingExhaustPort.jpg

I wouldnt opean the intakes up like the top cylinders. I dont have a lot of confidence that the people that ported them knew what they were doing. They were on my machine when I bought it.

you can tell the differance from the top and bottom jugs... the red ones seem to be alot of free hand that wasnt very stable.. you can tell by the bridge in the center and the edges of the intake... it isnt smooth and by any means flat...

the pat jugs are very smooth have no signs of a 4 year old with a chisel knocking metal off the intake... the edges should be nice and smooth and look like they where sanded not look like the bit was jumping in and out of the guys hands

[they both look ok to me. the 4 mill intakes are a little small. but hey wish i could post up some pics..i have some of my 350cc cylinders.

there is really no huge power increase to be had in the intakes themselves. the cylinder as a whole has to work together with the other parts of you motor to ge the desired power out...

you can tell the differance from the top and bottom jugs... the red ones seem to be alot of free hand that wasnt very stable.. you can tell by the bridge in the center and the edges of the intake... it isnt smooth and by any means flat...

the pat jugs are very smooth have no signs of a 4 year old with a chisel knocking metal off the intake... the edges should be nice and smooth and look like they where sanded not look like the bit was jumping in and out of the guys hands

That is what I was thinking as well. They still run great, but I would be not real thrilled if I was the one that shelled out the bucks, and had them come back looking like that.

I did my own with racelogic stage 2 templates and I think they came out really good, actually they look alot cleaner than several of the ones done by "experts" that I've seen on the site. Some people have no business porting cylinders, but if you have the tools and a steady hand I say go for it. I just cleaned up the tranfers and altered the intake and exhaust ports according to the templates (everything was marked perfectly so they're identical) and had the intakes and exteriors bead blasted, polished the exhaust ports and bored/honed them when I was done. Everyone that rides my quad sure likes the difference. This pic was before the bead blasting of course.

Picture326.jpg

Edited by differentstrokes

Here's my Gorr ported cylinders, intake side only. You can "do" it yourself, but remember, there's A LOT more to it than just opening up, there's volumes and measurements and then there's A LOT more to it than intake only. If you do some cleaning up, just make it flow better and don't open it up much or you'll defeat the purpose. Good luck on it.

Stock cylinders

intakebefore.jpg

Eric Gorr cylinders

intakeafter.jpg

Good Topic :thumbsup: I'v been thinking about taking cylinders off and cleaning them up a bit :biggrin: For the guys that have posted. What area was your port work done?

Edited by Dinner