Aftermarket Headlights!

jbirdman

My stock headlights just won't do it for me anymore so I'm looking into buying a pair of aftermarket lights. I'm looking for opinions from those of you who do have them. What kind do you have? Do you like them? Will they run off the stock stator? Will they burn holes through sand dunes?

I've also heard good things about the 2002-on stock lights...

What's the beta, Banshee Boyz??? (and girls, I know...that's just not as alliterative)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the ricky stator illuminators. I have not yet had a problem with them coming loose like some of the other similar style lights I hear about. They are a little mroe difficult to change the bulbs, but are also secured better by the interlocking ring and one piece design.

I prefer them to be mounted with my handle bars in the dune, this way they turn with the bike, instead of turning then being able to see.

I mostly ride dunes, and even with 35 watt bulbs they were much better than my stock 2000 lights( Which sucked) Right now im running those with 75 watt bulbs and a 200 watt ricky stator stator.

bansheeGordons2003T-day.jpg

if your going to go over 75 watts though, you will get better throw with larger reflectors, I just don't like the way big lights look as much. Smaller reflectors will give you better lighting with less watts. Although Mine ware WAY WAY brighter than stock! I can't stand those things, I was going to remove mine, but Im thinking about modding them with some 5 watt LEDs and pointing them off to the sides for flood lighting.

Wallrats setup is definately alot cheaper though, and those look pretty decent too! Mine were over $200 just for the lights.

I love my lazer stars from weekend concepts. I bought them used from a buddy for $50.00 bucks because one of the mounting bezels were cracked. i had it welded, then spent some elbow grease cleaning and polishing and you can't even tell they have been repaired. Gonna add higher wattage lamps as soon as I get a new stator.

Sounds like the LazerStars are pretty popular. I've been a little leery of the small lights, but it sounds like they're plenty bright? I just hate the stock lights at night cuz they're just barely enough to see where I'm going - especially at any speed.

Those Lightforce lights look pretty sweet - expensive...but sweet.

Boonman, I'm a big fan of the Hella 500s. I'm going to be putting a pair my bansh, but haven't looked to hard on how to mount. Since you've been there, I didn't know if you had any great ideas on making the job easier. I was thinking of making a bar to fit across the two mounts with tabs welded for the lights, but was concerned with keeping them upright, not rotating back.

What wattage are you running, 55w?

Yep. 55 watters. I got the flood beam pattern. But, I would like ot get one driving pattern for the long beam. I mounted mine in the stock location.

fb48f409.jpg

fb48f3fc.jpg

I used the Hella clamp, and just stuck the whole assembly in between the stock frame tabs, and ran the stock bolt through the whole assembly... Worked good...

Boonman, did you ever run those Hellas with the stock stator (or see someone who was)? It'll be a while before I upgrade the stator, so whatever lights I get will be running with the stock voltage at first. I do like the look of the Hellas - for whatever reason I don't like the look of those little billet lights on a Banshee. :-)

Boonman, did you ever run those Hellas with the stock stator (or see someone who was)?  It'll be a while before I upgrade the stator, so whatever lights I get will be running with the stock voltage at first.  I do like the look of the Hellas - for whatever reason I don't like the look of those little billet lights on a Banshee.  :-)

I'd just keep the stockers untill you can upgrade, unless you switch to the smaller lights you won't see much improvement at stock power (perhaps slightly better optics but not much especialy when going larger)...Once you get your stator re-done then you can go for the larger optic lights. It's all about the efficiency of the optics (when using the same type of lighting (Hallogen), smaller lights are very efficient untill the lights in them overwhelm the optics. At stock I noticed my illuminator "appeard about 2-3 times better than stock" when I upped them to 75 watts vs 35, they only got 50% brighter not 100%...But if you go with larger optics, its possible they would appear less bright at 35 watts because that is not what the optics were designed around...

The smaller lights are MUCH more efficient at 35 watts than the hellas, my friend had a re-wound stator and those hellas w/ 55 watt hallogens, and I had the 2 tiny illuminators pictured and mine were noticable brighter (or perhaps just a better beam) but they "appeared" brighter at 35 watts than his did at 55 watts. When I got my stator re-done and 75 watt hallogens in those little lights there is no comparison. Although if he tossed in 75 watt halogens in those hellas, things could get interesting, in guessing they would make more use of the additional lumens going from 55 to 75 than my little illuminators would. needless to say he wanted to switch.

If your going to run anything over 75 watts definately go with the larger lights...

@ 35-55 the smaller lights will produce a more usable beam.

@75 its a toss up (since you can't mount to handle bars), but in guessing the larger optic lights would pull ahead in total lumens thrown)

If you want the brightest shit, Definately go with some HID's :D