1989 and 2000 Banshee Builds

I just want to keep track of my builds and share with you all my projects.

On Saturday December 2nd we bought a new car and somehow managed to also buy two Banshees. Now, they're projects and we got both complete bikes for $2000. A 1989 and a 2000. Both are mostly stock, both also have aftermarket carburetors. I also got the top end rebuild kit and a cool head with the bikes.

My plans: I have a trip coming up New Year's Weekend at Ocotillo Wells and I fully intend to have both of these running.

With that said...the short term

• The 89 needs a new transmission

• doing the clutches and top end on both

• carb rebuilds on both

• doing the bushings and bearings front and back on both

• the 89 needs a new flywheel. Some asshole torqued it so much the thing is concave and rubbing the stator it's so bent

• 89 probably needs a new stator

• new bushings and seals all around both motors

I just want to make these as reliable as possible so I'm doing all the hard stuff while I have the cases split.

Also, some dickhead got the shift drum screws in but decided to strip them COMPLETELY on the way in. Any advice on how to remove those is appreciated.

I haven't even started on the 2000 yet, but I'm sure it has its own surprises.

The long term: full restorations. New everything and paint. I'm going to start on that after this season. For now, I just want to get them rideable.

More pictures to come.33ee7fc163f75d790ca3b045056aa5f3.jpgcc87fe32156da87150fc8603b03883de.jpg516410133ad7857d2e78b2215570909b.jpg443f327affa17b158e9e841a2dc076e6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

use a dremel and cut a slot in those stripped screws so you can use a large flat bladed screw driver. then use a manual impact with a slotted bit to break them loose.

looks like fun.... Mine will be in the "project" line sometime in spring hopefully.

14 hours ago, Banshee2105 said:

I• the 89 needs a new flywheel. Some asshole torqued it so much the thing is concave and rubbing the stator it's so bent

33ee7fc163f75d790ca3b045056aa5f3.jpg

That is what happen and is 100% impossible to happen. What happened is a 3 jaw puller was used.

use a dremel and cut a slot in those stripped screws so you can use a large flat bladed screw driver. then use a manual impact with a slotted bit to break them loose.

looks like fun.... Mine will be in the "project" line sometime in spring hopefully.
Oh it's fun! I just don't understand why people do things like that. Yeah, it's fine at the time but it has to come apart eventually.

I was thinking about the Dremel trick, but I don't want to ruin the bracket or shift drum.

Just now, Banshee2105 said:

Any idea how to get it off? My flywheel puller is stripped out from trying to remove it that way.

Put some heat on it too. That flywheel is fucked beyond use. Well the puller to it, use a torch to get the flywheel warmed up and it should come off.

53 minutes ago, Banshee2105 said:

Oh it's fun! I just don't understand why people do things like that. Yeah, it's fine at the time but it has to come apart eventually.

I was thinking about the Dremel trick, but I don't want to ruin the bracket or shift drum.

1. u dont even need to run the case half brackets 

2. thats your only way of getting it off. do that or a very thin cutting wheel, U wanna get it just enough to get a bite on the screw and then use a dead blow on your impact driver to wack the hell out of it, it will come out that way promise

1. u dont even need to run the case half brackets 
2. thats your only way of getting it off. do that or a very thin cutting wheel, U wanna get it just enough to get a bite on the screw and then use a dead blow on your impact driver to wack the hell out of it, it will come out that way promise
Thanks for the tips! I'll post an update when I get it done.

Buy one of these. Best extraction kit I've ever used and guarantee it will take those screws out of the shift drum. I've used it dozens of times on the most screwed up screws you can think of (I've bought a lot of bikes in boxes) and have never needed the extractor. The left hand bits take them out every time. I see you said Ocotillo Wells, if you're in San Diego you can bring it by my house, I'll take those screws out for free...

https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-HANSON-Spiral-Extractor-11119/dp/B0002NYBH8/ref=sr_1_6?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1512506344&sr=1-6&keywords=left+hand+drill+bits

Buy one of these. Best extraction kit I've ever used and guarantee it will take those screws out of the shift drum. I've used it dozens of times on the most screwed up screws you can think of (I've bought a lot of bikes in boxes) and have never needed the extractor. The left hand bits take them out every time. I see you said Ocotillo Wells, if you're in San Diego you can bring it by my house, I'll take those screws out for free...

https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-HANSON-Spiral-Extractor-11119/dp/B0002NYBH8/ref=sr_1_6?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1512506344&sr=1-6&keywords=left+hand+drill+bits
I'm in OC but that isn't too far away. If it comes down to it, I'll let you know. Thanks so much for the offer.

I was thinking about this kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071P492PY/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

What are your thoughts on that?

I've never used that particular kit but I have two like it that I bought from home depot plus one more of a different style. I broke the size I needed in both kits and the third just spun and was useless. I swore off screw extractors after that and was slotting heads as others suggested. A buddy snapped off his pinch bolt in a set of dirt bike forks and I bought the kit I have now after doing some research and talking to a friend who is a professional machinist.  In my opinion left hand drill bits are the most valuable part of the kit. I really can't vouch for the quality of the Hanson extractors I referenced, the bits have removed everything I've tried them on so the extractors are still brand new. I soak in liquid wrench for ~20minutes and throw the bit in my hand drill on the lowest speed setting (in the reverse direction of course). Works like magic.

And I'm in North SD, not too far from Del Mar fairground. Offer to help stands anytime, I always love to see banshee brought back to life rather than trashed and parted.

Edited by 97Screamer