Correct place to post, new rider, jetting

jjurado

Hi

I posted in another section but I think this might be the correct place. My Banshee has stock carbs, the mods are Toomey T6, adjustable timming stator adjusted to +4, Uni Filter Pods and boyesen Rad Valves RAD-36A. I am at 7ft or basically sea level and high 80's- 90 temperature.

Please help deciding what mains, pilot, needle position and air screw setting should I use?

Thanks a lot 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another thought, if you are going to stick with stock carbs, make sure to change the needle as the stock ones are shit.

i use a needle with part no# Y151 and it cleared the carbs up nice!

also Toomeys are supposed to be the best for stock carbs.

33 minutes ago, STRIBZ said:

another thought, if you are going to stick with stock carbs, make sure to change the needle as the stock ones are shit.

i use a needle with part no# Y151 and it cleared the carbs up nice!

also Toomeys are supposed to be the best for stock carbs.

Thanks a lot for your reply and help. On The needle, Yes, I a planning on installing the one that Toomey has in their perfect jetting.

For the stock engine (no porting) yes, Toomey had just replied that the T6 is the best.

Before deciding to add the RAD valves I had send an email to Toomey and they replied that the best performance will be if I use they Perfect Jetting kit  which is 280 main and their needle. For the Pilot he recommended the stock 25. I told him everybody else was telling me 300-320 for main and 27.5 for Pilot and he replied that most people don't have the equipment to determine this and they do, he keeps insiting on 280 main and 25 pilot. I sent him another email saying I was going to buy the RAD valve as well so if I needed to change the 280 main and 25 pilot or what he recommened, he has not replied. They recommend their needle in the 4th position.

What do you think?

Hi

I told Toomey that some of you guys were recommending to install a 27.5 pilot instead of the 25 cause you thought it might be a Little lean and this is what they replied

"Why would you think the #25 is too lean?, the airscrew setting is 1.5 turns out, the effective range is .5 to 2.5 turns, so 1.5 is the middle, one would only change to a richer pilot jet if the airscrew setting was improving at .5 and it is still lean, then you change pilot jet (fuel control) and return the air screw to 1.5 and keep testing.

We have never seen any instance where a richer pilot jet is needed."

like i said with those figures i gave you, you should be a tad "Rich"!

the jetting we all gave you are perfect "STARTING" points.

you're not going to get your jetting bang on first go, so it's always better to start what you know is rich and work down.

You asked for advice and we told you what to do and how to do it!

Let us know how you go tuning it.

Good luck

1 hour ago, STRIBZ said:

like i said with those figures i gave you, you should be a tad "Rich"!

the jetting we all gave you are perfect "STARTING" points.

you're not going to get your jetting bang on first go, so it's always better to start what you know is rich and work down.

You asked for advice and we told you what to do and how to do it!

Let us know how you go tuning it.

Good luck

Thanks a lot bro. Yes, I agree with you, it's better to start a tad rich, that's very smart. THank You Again for your help and advice. Some more info that they gave me, in case it helps anybody, I asked them about the different Air filter options and they replied this:

"YES, WE GOT THE GOOD SUFFICIENT FLOW WITH VENTILATED AIRBOX, INDIVIDUAL FILTERS WERE LESS FLOW BECAUSE OF TURBULENCE CAUSED BY THE FILTERS BEING SO CLOSE TO THE CARBURETOR, AND THE 2:1 WAS BEST FLOW BECAUSE OF ITS AERODYNAMICS AND RESTORATION OF LOST AND NEEDED INTAKE TRACT LENGTH."

No worries mate,

Depends on what riding you do most the time.

i ride 100% dunes so i stick to k&n pods.

if you are near water/mud i would stick with an air box.

What might work for someone else might not work for you.

30 minutes ago, STRIBZ said:

No worries mate,

Depends on what riding you do most the time.

i ride 100% dunes so i stick to k&n pods.

if you are near water/mud i would stick with an air box.

What might work for someone else might not work for you.

Yes, that's right. Do you think it would be tru that their 2:1 flows more than Pods? I have asked him twice and he keeps saying yes of but of course he won't say different if he works for Toomey, I wonder of there are any flow tests in the web about their 2:1 and flows for the K&N, etc. will look right now for those.

38 minutes ago, STRIBZ said:

2-1 carb = tight trails/woods

dual carbs with pods = everything else

The kind of riding are you doing most will determine what setup should be used.

I will never do dunes, only trails and around open large spaces in my ranch where I can run fast (most of the time) and trails will be from time to time, not too often. I would like to run the set up that would give me the best performance, what do you recomend the Toomey 2:1, Uni Pods or K&N Pods? Is any of those going to increase HP a little?

Thank You