Hard start problems

Hey guys I have a 99 banshee all stock except open air box and shearer SB in frame pipes it is a pig to start it take at least 40 kicks to even think about coming to life but as soon as it's warm it's fine was wondering if jetting was an issue it has 280 main and 30 pilot does that sound ballpark to anyone.     Thanks

• Like 1

Is this an issue that has developed recently or has it always been this way? Your pilot should be close, where's your air screws at? Go through carbs and make sure their clean, if you have stock carbs make sure choke tube is on, make sure float bowls are on correct, also make sure slides are installed correct. Plenty of info around here about these 3 things. On the left float bowl there is a small jet in the bowl for the choke circuit, make sure you clean that out as well. After all that if you still have problems, check compression.

11 minutes ago, jeremyshee01 said:

When I got my first banshee I cleaned the carbs and like a fuckin idiot I put the wrong float in the wrong carb. Acted the same as you're describing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'm assuming that you meant "float bowls" because the floats are the same left and right.

• 1 month later...

Similar thing happend to me.  My banshee sat for 4 years in.  In that time mice had moved into my air box. They destroyed everything.    Tore the air box off and went with a 2into1 filter setup cleaned the carbs and tried to get it running.    When it wouldn't start I messed with the pilot jets.      Was stock 25's so I went to 27.5. Same issue.  The. 32.5 I think it was that started it but smoked like a chimney.        So on a whim I decided to buy a new float bowl for my left carb and it instantly solved the issue.      Bowl was clean but that tiny jet for the choke was clogged in the bottom with no way to clean it.     I couldn't remove it.   And an ultrasonic bath didn't help either.  So I would investigate that left carb bowl