35 pwk idle trouble

Okay Ive read a bunch of threads and got some advice from a few members on here for the last week and a half but i still haven't been able to figure the correct way to fix this and deal with the root of the problem

-Bike will not hold an idle

-Idle screws are all the way in. (plastics ones with the springs)

-they DO move the slides, but only so far. I have to let slack out of the cable at the housing which then raises the slides slightly to achieve steady idle.  I then syncd the carbs after doing that. Im still able to get full throttle

-I changed my pilots from a 52 down to a 48 and it did nothing to the idle unless I did what I mentioned above.

current jetting is 138 main, cel 4th clip. 48 pilot at 1.5 turns

421 DL low port timings 35 pwks, slp pipes.

Ive tested all electrical and everything is within spec. Ive read trimming the spring wires can fix this so u can screw the plastics screws in more but I don't want to cover up the root problem, if there is one.  Any help appreciated.

Yes that's why I am scratching my head over here. . It runs and rips still once I get in the power, heats up to temp very quickly, plugs are still on the rich side and has some good plooge out the back, but just cant get it to idle the right way..

Edited by Ayesully810

How old are the carbs? You've already ruled out an air leak?

The carbs are old. Jd had these carbs on the bike when it was in his possession

I did not personally do the leak down

Lane assembled it for me and made sure every thing was solid, and we ran it on the dyno with the afr and everything was straight.

I just went though something similar on a dirtbike with a 36pwk. Crappy idle but also accell stumble. Tried tons of pilots, needles, and pj(was pwk with electric pj) seems to have been the oring between the carb body and the jet tower. It seems to seal the fuel circuit passages. Im guessing poor signal causes the issue. Only place i found replacement was jetsrus. Used reg phillips screws on reassembly

• Like 1

http://www.shiny-red.net/guides/how-to-jet-your-carb/

I found the info below in the link above.

Rich Jetting Symptoms and Solutions

Motor won’t idle and idle set screw is ineffective. Try leaning out the air screw by turning it counter-clockwise a quarter turn at a time. If the air screw has no effect, install a leaner pilot jet and return the air screw to 1 turn out. Proper air screw settings are usually between 1 and 2 1/2 turns out. The correct pilot for your motor is one that allows instant off-idle throttle response, and allows the air screw to be effective between 1 and 2.5 turns out. If the problem still exists, check and clean the choke circuit and carb vent lines.

Here's more info.

http://www.shiny-red.net/guides/keihin-carburetor-jetting/

• Like 1

Thanks Chris. I think I read through those two last night from the links you sent me, ive been gobbling up all the jetting info I can.. Sending my pingel out tomorrow because its leaking so I should have this all squared away by next week when I get it back.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this thread. I found the issue and have corrected it.. It was the throttle cable.  I un installed my new motion pro cable that I got from fast and put my old one back on (steel braids were starting to fray at the throttle) and I can now set the slides high enough for it to idle.  before the max rpm idle speed was 1100.  These cables have the same model number on them though (01-0813) but they are not the same length.  Thoughts?

Edited by Ayesully810