What caused my piston to do this?

What caused my piston to do this? Detonation? Lean? Or just old. 8606fb2436dbf5e207604e2ecfd034ef.jpgc0af5162c12a2b2f09b6d866ddb36cd5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be detonation but also could have just broke the top edge of the piston off and shrapnel bounced around on the chamber.

I am not seeing any hole melted into the piston. And normally this is in the center of the piston.

This damage is a piece of the edge cracking off.

Is there any damage to the walls?

Wonder if some detonation happened, caused the ring to turn and catch a port.

Sorry, yeah was looking at the pictures pretty late at night, but most likely a ring got snagged in the port.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

Sorry, yeah was looking at the pictures pretty late at night, but most likely a ring got snagged in the port.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

But he said it was old. That type of failure would typically happen early in engine life.

Shit. When I bought mine in 2012 the right side looked just like that. No air leaks, and all stock. Still ran just a bad bog on take off.

Wear, and tear literally. I remember the shop had to go from 64mm -65.50mm. Due to the damaged side being so fucking out of round it was unreal, and the scarring on the cylinder wasn't that deep........shit happens i suppose.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Edited by bigweav81

What caused my piston to do this? Detonation? Lean? Or just old. 8606fb2436dbf5e207604e2ecfd034ef.jpgc0af5162c12a2b2f09b6d866ddb36cd5.jpg

Don't really see any signs of deto. The place it broke out is between the transfer(or right into the first transfer) and the exhaust port so would be kinda of a weird spot to break from a ring snag, unless the locate pin on the intake side came out allowing the ring to spin.

• Like 1

Don't really see any signs of deto. The place it broke out is between the transfer(or right into the first transfer) and the exhaust port so would be kinda of a weird spot to break from a ring snag, unless the locate pin on the intake side came out allowing the ring to spin.

Honestly, after reading a lot about piston development that is a spot that is quite susceptible to gauling or ring land failure if using very round pistons. Believe it or not, the best for some applications are not perfectly round. For instance, when Calvin Pollet developed the Cheetah cylinder they began testing with Weisco and found that the bridge in the triple exhaust was swelling under heat/load and beginning to contact the piston compromising both the piston and nikasil. So Weisco actually did a slight relief on the piston in that area.

Sort of similar area where your piston failure is at the edge of the exhaust to the transfer. It's getting lots of heat off the exhaust and then quenched with fresh mixture from the transfer.

• Like 1