Sound check in Oregon dunes?

Ducman

My buddy just put a monster duel exhaust with the shorter canisters on his Raptor 700 and holy shit it thumps.  I'm kind of worried he wont make it past a sound check if we run into one.

I have only ever been sound checked on one of the whooped out access roads near Horse Falls before.  I've never been checked or heard about a check at Winchester bay before.

Anybody know how often and which riding areas get checked the most?  Well be heading to Winchester and Spinreel at the end of April, kind of off season so I'm hoping there wont be any sound checks.

Also, I have rockets pipes on my banshee and I've never been sound checked before with these.  Do piped banshees make it through a sound check ok?

It's hit or miss. I've seen people get stopped while riding the trails. I've also seen groups of four and five cops at the bottom of banshee hill, just watching the action. Winchester as long you guys pay the parking fee, don't act like goons, You won't be bothered. I haven't been to Florence in like three to four years, so can't really say how bad it is. I've heard it's real bad there because of how close the dunes are to houses and the old people throwing tantrums about the quads.

Edited by SandSlingerOR

It's hit or miss. I've seen people get stopped while riding the trails. I've also seen groups of four and five cops at the bottom of banshee hill, just watching the action. Winchester as long you guys pay the parking fee, don't act like goons, You won't be bothered. I haven't been to Florence in like three to four years, so can't really say how bad it is. I've heard it's real bad there because of how close the dunes are to houses and the old people throwing tantrums about the quads.

That has been my experience too, that the riding areas with houses close by get sound checked, but I only go to the OR dunes once or twice a year now so I don't see what happens on a regular basis.

Ive bein riding thier for 20+ years and it is hit or miss. The cops anywhere are cocksuckers! Try to make shure when u head out down the 10 mph whoop road at winnchester that u time it so thiers a few others in front and behind u guys. Safety in numbers. DO NOT FUCK AROUND ON THE TEN MPH ROAD, they sit in the bushes at the end of the sraight stretch before the road out turns left and starts to open up to the dunes. I have never bein checked but ive seen them do it. They mainly look for drinkers so if u camp hide everything as they will creep through and look for camps drinkin and watch for thier machines. Thier completly fucked in oregon.I went to st anthonys this year and everybody in the camp was drinkin and partying till 2am. Reminded me of spinreel as a kid before they paved it and ruined it.

Winn bay is the best riding in my opinion but florence is a close second, all the south dunnes suck spinreel horse falls boxcar, all lame and to many cops and closed spots not to mention the whoopy accses roads that are stupid long. As far as old people bitching, those are rich people. Rich librals to be more accurate, same fucks that sell thier condos in cali and stay in thier oregon beach house in our prime riding season then bitch and donate to bullshit activist groups that shut our dunes down, then low and behold they buy the land by the closers!! Dont get me started fkn oregon librals are like cancer spreading everywhere!!!

I agree with this state being so anti atv it's ridiculous. On the flip side I don't blame the cops and the tourists for acting like they do. Some people who come out there are complete retards, annoying etc. there is no fing reason to be burning out your paddles on the parking lot, throwing beer bottles everywhere, smoking weed, yelling, screaming etc. Loud four strokes that just pop pop pop.. uggggh. Rant over

Ive bein riding thier for 20+ years and it is hit or miss. The cops anywhere are cocksuckers! Try to make shure when u head out down the 10 mph whoop road at winnchester that u time it so thiers a few others in front and behind u guys. Safety in numbers. DO NOT FUCK AROUND ON THE TEN MPH ROAD, they sit in the bushes at the end of the sraight stretch before the road out turns left and starts to open up to the dunes. I have never bein checked but ive seen them do it. They mainly look for drinkers so if u camp hide everything as they will creep through and look for camps drinkin and watch for thier machines. Thier completly fucked in oregon.I went to st anthonys this year and everybody in the camp was drinkin and partying till 2am. Reminded me of spinreel as a kid before they paved it and ruined it.

Winn bay is the best riding in my opinion but florence is a close second, all the south dunnes suck spinreel horse falls boxcar, all lame and to many cops and closed spots not to mention the whoopy accses roads that are stupid long. As far as old people bitching, those are rich people. Rich librals to be more accurate, same fucks that sell thier condos in cali and stay in thier oregon beach house in our prime riding season then bitch and donate to bullshit activist groups that shut our dunes down, then low and behold they buy the land by the closers!! Dont get me started fkn oregon librals are like cancer spreading everywhere!!!

I agree with you 100%.  I have seen the cops enforce speed on the Winchester Bay access road so I already know about that one.  We like to rent the house that is across the road from the Discovery point campground.

Me and my wife have rented that house as well,its really nice. We also like the cabin at discoverypoint with the quad in front of it where u pull in. We have cought salmon out of the bay its sweet thier, my favorite place on the west coast by far. Everbody on this subject is spot on thiers no need to be a fkn idiot, but that aside the law is nonsence. Leave us alone, seems like half the people on the coast are methed out, they have better shit to do than mes with dunners. Thier lazy fkn gov empoyees that do what easy like usual...

• 7 months later...

I agree, its hit and miss. Each officer has different views.  I know of a guy who helped a sheriff get his rzr unstuck during Raptor Rally. The sheriff then pulled him over right after and gave him a sound limit ticket.  that didn't go over well.  I have been fortunate enough to only get one ticket in the 30 years I have been going to the dunes. I usually just try to avoid them like the plague... lol

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, strongweld said:

I have found that if you have Cascade cans, they don't pull out their Db meter, and let you ride off into the sunset. May be that they are made in OR, they are quieter though. My 595 CPI bike blows 99 on my cheap meter, I think 92 db is their limit in the OR regulations.

SAE specs state under power WOT at a predetermined distance from the meter Mic..... how do the LEO's justify the ticket if they don't test accurately? 

Got out of a sound ticket at glamis because of this...... Preponderance of evidence...... Sherriff couldn't prove I was too loud when he did not test it "correctly"

104db with FMF's..... packed my silencers after that trip though....