Has anybody had issues ordering parts from TDR?

Ducman

I've got a small complaint.  I ordered pistons, domes and gaskets from Tony Ducas Racing.  One of the pistons arrived damaged.  It had a small little ding in the edge of the piston dome and there is no way it happened during shipping.  I don't think it was TDR's fault, it would have been nice if they would have checked the parts before they sent them but probably not something you would expect to find on a new piston.  I am having to pay the $16 to ship the piston back to them and wait for them to get it and then they'll send a new one.

I think they should have sent me a new piston with return shipping for the damaged one to be returned.  Wouldn't that be a reasonable business practice since I'm not the one at fault for receiving a damaged item?  I'm not real happy about the delay to my project and its even worse that there in FL and I'm in CA.

I've got a small complaint. I ordered pistons, domes and gaskets from Tony Ducas Racing. One of the pistons arrived damaged. It had a small little ding in the edge of the piston dome and there is no way it happened during shipping. I don't think it was TDR's fault, it would have been nice if they would have checked the parts before they sent them but probably not something you would expect to find on a new piston. I am having to pay the $16 to ship the piston back to them and wait for them to get it and then they'll send a new one.

I think they should have sent me a new piston with return shipping for the damaged one to be returned. Wouldn't that be a reasonable business practice since I'm not the one at fault for receiving a damaged item? I'm not real happy about the delay to my project and its even worse that there in FL and I'm in CA.

Maybe have them discount the piston? The damage is probably miniscule unless near the ring land. You could lightly sand down the burr and be on the way with your project.

I've ran pistons with small pits on the top before and they had zero effect on performance. I understand you want a new build perfect, but if you can get some money back on that piston and still run it thats more funds for other stuff.

Bad business deal though for sure. Puts the dealer in a tough spot when it's not their fault. But they should just eat the shipping cost, or try to pass it on the wiseco if it was damaged from the beginning.

• Like 1

I had a similar thing happen with something unrelated to ATVs. The shop sent me a label to print out and put on the box the same day. I paid for nothing and they expedited me what I needed.

Every shop is different I guess.

That is about what I was expecting to happen, but not what I got.

Maybe have them discount the piston? The damage is probably miniscule unless near the ring land. You could lightly sand down the burr and be on the way with your project.

I've ran pistons with small pits on the top before and they had zero effect on performance. I understand you want a new build perfect, but if you can get some money back on that piston and still run it thats more funds for other stuff.

Bad business deal though for sure. Puts the dealer in a tough spot when it's not their fault. But they should just eat the shipping cost, or try to pass it on the wiseco if it was damaged from the beginning.

I considered that but the damage was right on the corner/edge of the dome and it was bad enough that I think It would cause a failure not to far down the road.  Definitely would have had a squish clearance issue if I didn't sand/file it down.

Definitely not blaming TDR for the issue, but I don't think they handled the return very fairly or expeditiously.  I will say that I do think they sell parts for a decent price though, I was happy with that.

Did you speak with Tony directly about this?

Sent an e-mail and Tony replied fairly quickly and said Lisa would call me the next day and take care of it.  Lisa didn't call, I had to call and she wouldn't pay for the return shipping.  She said If I wanted to expedite that I would have to order and pay for another piston and they would refund me when they received the damaged one that I had to send back and pay for the shipping.

I've gotten into arguments about stuff like that.

I demanded that they send me a new item with a prepaid label they printed.

When they said no, I said fine. I'll just ship my whole order back for a full refund.

Maybe it'll work maybe not. But it displays the one time I said it.

Granted the ATV world is full of broke ass idiots so there is some reasoning behind this. That said, I bought a 5 thousand dollar prop for the boat last year. I ordered a 34, it showed up a 36. I called the shop that shipped it, they shipped me the right one with a UPS label in the box for the one to return. No return first, no paying, no nothing. Now THAT is how it's supposed to be done! But if you did that in the ATV world you'd get back 10% of the shit you should!

• Like 1

Granted the ATV world is full of broke ass idiots so there is some reasoning behind this. That said, I bought a 5 thousand dollar prop for the boat last year. I ordered a 34, it showed up a 36. I called the shop that shipped it, they shipped me the right one with a UPS label in the box for the one to return. No return first, no paying, no nothing. Now THAT is how it's supposed to be done! But if you did that in the ATV world you'd get back 10% of the shit you should!

That's because you were probably a negative dick to them and OP is probably a nice guy!

I ordered a set of reed petals once and it was almost a year before I went to install them and found they wouldn't fit. No questions asked they replaced them with the correct ones. I always appreciated that years ago Tony took time to talk in depth about reeds with me.  

Never talked to Ducman personally but send a PM to fix the issue.

Besides I have 2 Duc's in the garage. I am an avid motorcycle racer as well.

He won't even pick up the phone to call you which is easier than sending an email or PM!

What's the ol saying?............ Can't make everyone happy!