First time at the asphalt strip 421 Cub

Power_Man

Not what i expected, but i never raced this quad or a quad like it before

My best was:

1/4 mile was 13.382 @ 91.82

1/8 mile was 8.248 @ 83.05

2.00 60ft.

I'm running 20x11x9 Kenda rear tires stock transmission and 15/42 sprockets

421 Cub +4 timing 39 PWK carbs, fair bit of tire spin. if i didn't spin off the line, i would bog it and run worse time.

This isn't a race quad, but i was expecting lower times.

Jeez. I know nothing about nothing but would have thought a 421 even decently setup would run high 11's/low 12's.

That's what i was expecting. but its not set up and I'm not the best rider.

What is your 60' times?

Shearer pipes?

What gear are you launching in?

2.0 60Ft. so i know its not hooking

Shearer pipes.

I was trying 1st and 2nd gear. I think mostly 2nd

Stock tranny is killing it I'm sure. And gearing is not optimal and those tires suck. My 700 Raptor wouldn't even hook up the Kendas I had.

i bought those tires mostly to ride on the back paved roads. figured they would be better than knobby.

High 11's are absolutely doable with a 421 gas cub in a heavy frame with no lockup and a stock tranny. I'm not familiar with the Kendra tires but I suspect they're not going to do you right. I'd also be very careful about launching in 2nd on the asphalt. We broke stock second gears easily when taking off in 1st with a little 358 cub. Thing is, You got your feet wet. I think you did good for the first time out. Did you have a good time? 

• Like 4

High 11's are absolutely doable with a 421 gas cub in a heavy frame with no lockup and a stock tranny. I'm not familiar with the Kendra tires but I suspect they're not going to do you right. I'd also be very careful about launching in 2nd on the asphalt. We broke stock second gears easily when taking off in 1st with a little 358 cub. Thing is, You got your feet wet. I think you did good for the first time out. Did you have a good time? 

it does have a lock up, but not adjusted for drag racing. i dont want to break any gears. lol I enjoy going to the track once a year, but that's about it. its mostly just for bragging rights, :unsure: 

Your issue sounds like traction and launching.

Need to ask yourself if you are serious about drag racing or just want to have fun.

basically just want to have fun. and kick some ass while doing it. if i find a set of good tires, i may try them next year.

I can get you pretty close on a clutch tune if u get some American racers sd23 compound. Most imortantly did u have fun. Second don't get discouraged it took me over a yr to get out of 12s and even longer in the the low 11s , it's not as easy as people think. Back when I started running asphault was almost not existant aside from Tedder and STY . They pointed me in the rite directon , just be willing to listen. . I have ran bikes similar to yours starting out which I consider a trail bike the fastest I got it to go was11.8 @105 mph with a 1.5 60'

• Like 1

I can get you pretty close on a clutch tune if u get some American racers sd23 compound. Most imortantly did u have fun. Second don't get discouraged it took me over a yr to get out of 12s and even longer in the the low 11s , it's not as easy as people think. Back when I started running asphault was almost not existant aside from Tedder and STY . They pointed me in the rite directon , just be willing to listen. . I have ran bikes similar to yours starting out which I consider a trail bike the fastest I got it to go was11.8 @105 mph with a 1.5 60'

what size tire should i be looking for in the American racers, and does it have to be them, or just a slick style tire like hoosier?

Edited by Power_Man

When my son goes to the track he runs 19.0/8.0 - 10GT on his heavy full framed banshee like yours and my wife and I run 20.0/8.0 - 10GT's on our asphalt Banshee's.

SD-23 is there softest compound.

We deal with Boubin Tire

http://www.americanracertires.com/store.php?cid=18&page=2

Perfect, thanks for info. So looks like first thing i need to do, is get a 10" rim.

If this is for asphalt drags only, get some blue labels, no need for .190" rims, shave the weight where you can.

Thanks guys. I'm from great white north, so I'll see if I can source em from up here to save on the shitty CUNUK dollar.

I assume seeing I have a heavier big, I want the smaller tire to gain the extra "torque".

Sounds like you are having fun. Here's my tips that have been hit on by other's already.

Plain & simple the only gear to launch in on asphalt is 1st gear!

IMO. your 15/42 (2.80 ratio) is not correct. A cheap test would be buying 16 tooth front sprocket, getting you closer to what you need. That would change your ratio to a 2.62. That would help you with less wheelspin, then you can make smaller adjustments with the rear sprocket to fine tune the rpm.

Clutch/lock-up tuning worth its weight in gold. (see pinned thread at the top of Drag Section)

Get the AR tire in SD23 compound, they will make a big difference in lowering your ET. Hint: don't be afraid to run a smaller dia. rear tire. Some of the fastest quads in the country run a 18" dia. rear tire with bigger motors than yours. 

You did a fine job being your 1st time out, no reason to be disappointed. Have fun with it, getting caught up with going faster can take the fun out of things & lighten your wallet a bunch. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I "race" just to have some fun.
​I have 20-8-10 AR GT sd23´s and 16/42 or 41 gearing. Motor is stock ported on pump gas and I weight about 200-210.

​My questimation is, that you can do low 12´s and low 7´s with new tires and better gearing.

• Like 2