Broken reeds

Just had my bike dynod and dialed in.. Couple days later, running like crap. Left carb constantly over flowing with gas (leaking out of the pod air filter mostly) adjusted the float height on both sides, tore carbs apart, cleaned them. Put new plugs in. No dice. Upon further inspection, I found this, a full Reed pedal missing on my left side. Can I just replace the pedals and run it or should I consider that the pedal might be in my case somewhere and go digging for it so it doesn't do any damage. Tested compression in both cylinders 130 both currently (read 140 on a better tester as well before the dyno)

image_zpsflzdnxvo.jpegl

How old are those reeds looks like V-force 4's ?

That sucks Id be pissed a the V force reeds, ya you might be able to fish it out by just removing your cylinders.

If the reed broke into more little flakes, than ya you unfortanally have to take it right apart and clean out all your bearings....  :flush:

How old are those reeds looks like V-force 4's ?

That sucks Id be pissed a the V force reeds, ya you might be able to fish it out by just removing your cylinders.

If the reed broke into more little flakes, than ya you unfortanally have to take it right apart and clean out all your bearings....  :flush:

Yeah I'm a little upset but I'm just happy I found the problem. Comes with the territory of owning a toy. I've seen them chip and what not but never a full pedal just come off lol. These are vf3s btw

That pedal probably got spit out the exhaust in a million pieces, I'd replace them and run it. I've had a few get spit out.

What if they didn't get spit out though and it's in my crank? Wouldn't that cause immediate damage and I'd be able to know that something ain't right down there. Just thinking worst case scenario what would happen, blown crank? To note: bike was running great after my dyno at driveline they hooked me up, I think it was just a coincidence that it happened after that.

Edited by Ayesully810

If your that worried about it split the cases check everything buy new seals and put it back together. Or put new pedals on your reeds and ride it. I've had several reed pedals brake and I've never split the cases because of it.

• Like 3

Get vf4.

I tell people, Reed pedals are seasonal. At most every other. I see reeds neglected and almost never changed.

Since I just got my jetting dialed in,If I get vf4s with my same setup will I have to change my jetting you think?

I would never run it, you should split the cases before you gernade your entire engine. Tolarances are so damn tight carbon fiber reeds can destroy your entire motor.

If your going to split it might as well upgrade to a serval.

Might have to wait a minute before I upgrade, I have a 4 mil right now cya and am planning on going with drivelines 421 hp setup eventually.

• Like 1

I work on more motors than most and I see this a lot, as shee rider said reeds are seasonal at best depending on hours, reeds are constantly bending, heating,cooling,pressurized, take a beating. Check your pipes for reed parts and see if you can find it, it really depends what part of the stroke it flew in on . Could have went rite out , might be lodged in the transfer or bearings. If it was my personal bike I wou tear it down, customers bikes I can only do what there willing to pay for. Call driveline and ask there opinion , just keep in mind you might not wanna hear it

• Like 1