Chassis Up Drag Build

Yamaha21

Right now I'm calculating it as billet around $1,200, who makes forged cranks in 7 or 10 mil?

I ran a 7mm WSM in my dunner for a couple seasons.  Cam was hesitant on using is on drag setup.

Clint has a waiting list a couple months long. If i remember correctly i was quoted 2500 or so to replicate jt frame and have clint build front suspension. If youve never owned a drag bike i would use jmads 4mil as your gonna burn it down learning to tune. Learn to make small motors quick first. It cheaper and easier to source parts. I would invest in a lighter chassis with the money saved on the motor. Then when your ready to upgrade you already have light stuff.

Anyone thinking about building a lite SFM bike, should keep in mind they are a handful. If at all unsure of your riding skill,z .. build a chassis bike.

Fyi, i own both.. sfm is a fun ride but the chassis is way more consistent.

10super is the smallest you should build. That cc will last you a few yrs.

If you go 4mill just buy from jmadd.. it will save you a ton of $ and TIME. And theres not many guys on this forum that know more about drag bikes than jared. It will be a good friend to have.

If you do this from the ground up you're gonna be over budget even with a 4 mil. I'll sell you a good running 421 Cub for $2000 to get ya started. I'll throw in OOF pipes (CPI BB or Sniper- your choice) and carbs (alky PWK 38mm or 39mm - your choice)for $500 more. The motor is ready to go with reeds, intakes 2-5 (non dunable) override, lockup, etc. Does not have straight cut gears.

If you go 4mill just buy from jmadd.. it will save you a ton of $ and TIME. And theres not many guys on this forum that know more about drag bikes than jared. It will be a good friend to have.

That's not a bad idea, if I can't get rid of my raptor I'll look into picking up his motor and just getting my chassis done until I get rid of the raptor and spend some time with the 421.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

So I've been doing a lot of reading and haven't been able to find a clear answer. If I'm looking to run around 100hp what wheel base should I be shooting for? How much to lengthen front vs. rear? It seems like people do it all different, curious to see what people claim is better.

So I've been doing a lot of reading and haven't been able to find a clear answer. If I'm looking to run around 100hp what wheel base should I be shooting for? How much to lengthen front vs. rear? It seems like people do it all different, curious to see what people claim is better.

U doing a stk frame or no. 100hp is low for drag racing these days

Ez then. -2+2 drag arms, spindle, stem. Swingarm +10 to +14. Set up for hill is diff than flats

I don't really like flat land racing so I'd definitely want to set it up for hills. is the range on the swing arm from 10" to 14" a preference thing? Just out of curiosity, if it were to be a flat land drag bike how would you then recommend the setup?

I don't really like flat land racing so I'd definitely want to set it up for hills. is the range on the swing arm from 10" to 14" a preference thing? Just out of curiosity, if it were to be a flat land drag bike how would you then recommend the setup?

Ya and no. I like to use short swingarms fo hill...POWa and paddles are a factor in all this to

Yeah, right now I'm trying to nail down my frame design to get the work started on it. Motor will be Redline 4 mil alky. Then I can play around with Paddles and gearing once I get everything thrown together and adjust from there.

I ran +8 swingarm and -2/+2 drag arms on a 421 stock frame and it worked pretty good.

Thats a good setup. With a 8" arm id consider 8 extremes. Maybe 10 extremes but you might need a 10" arm if it makes good power. Depends if you like to ride wheelies every gear or like to keep it down and lightly lift.

I had a 421 cub on a +4 frame with a 10 arm with 10 extremes and it floated the tires nicely through 2nd and 3rd gear. I had a 8 arm on it but it was a handful to control if it bit good and hooked. It would lift in 4th uphill.

All depends on your riding style, your power to weight ratio etc..