Titanium shift rod & Ceramic ball?

trickedcarbine

Yes, but that's not very practical. You say weight to weight? How big is a 10 pound cube of Ti vs a 10 pound cube of chromoly? When choosing tubing for a project I'm choosing tubing dimensions not weight, although weight is a factor. So yeah pound for pound stronger. But not always better when comparing material sizes in practical real world applications.

I putted out all the numbers. I cant do better than that.

I still wonder why Ti is used in airplanes, dam, they should call JT and ask him why they should use Chromo instead lol!

Claude, I think you're a smart dude and have a lot to offer this forum and the members, but instead of arguing with guys who have first hand or real world experience regarding these materials in these applications, why not find a way to take their info and turn it into productivity?

I putted out all the numbers. I cant do better than that.

I still wonder why Ti is used in airplanes, dam, they should call JT and ask him why they should use Chromo instead lol!

It's used because it's light. In the one of the posts you qouted earlier, it said minimal structural applications. So yes, NASA and Aviation branches definitely use Ti, but it's not a strength issue so much as a weight issue. Remember, there are lots of steel parts in those machines as well. But when you need to blast a rocket miles beyond the atmosphere, weight is a major factor.
  • Like 1

If one was to actually going to try to replicate one of these balls out of said Ti.Is it possible to machine a perfectly concentric ball?Would that have to be forged,cast,pressed,ext? Serious question.

Nobody said anything about a Ti ball, and yes it is possible to machine a perfect ball. I've done it myself with a few different plastics. Ti is doable.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, people really are getting butt hurt around here way too easily these days. 

Random thought, has anyone ever tried running with a pancake and no ball? That would let you run a solid ti push rod right up to the end of the pancake. Wouldn't last in a trail bike for sure, but it might get that last 20 grams off the trailer queen drag bike and last a day's worth of passes. With lightened hubs, a billet gas cap, the ceramic rear bearings, and making sure to take a dump before your run, you might just go plaid with that setup.