Titanium shift rod & Ceramic ball?

trickedcarbine

Not for nothing, you use to because the same thickness is lighter. You don't make it the same weight. At that point why use it at all??

Since it have a better G/D ratio, the Ti tube will be lighter. It will not have the same Dia or thinckness but IT WILL BE LIGHTER and as stiff as the chrome one.

If you have 'fitting issue' ok. But if you want the lightest, Ti all the way.

FFS guys, why do you think Ti is the material of choice in aeronautic??

I've seen a full Ti drag chassis. I don't know the wall thickness but the tubing diameter looked the same as most chromoly chassis.

It flexed so bad that the foot peg would almost hit the ground if you stepped on it. It threw the chain and/or went so violently crooked that it was unsafe to ride.

Definition from the net:

Specific modulus

Specific modulus is a materials property consisting of the elastic modulus per mass density of a material. It is also known as the stiffness to weight ratio or specific stiffness. High specific modulus materials find wide application in aerospace applications where minimum structural weight is required. The dimensional analysis yields units of distance squared per time squared.

So again, at the same weight, they will bent about the same.

I've seen a full Ti drag chassis. I don't know the wall thickness but the tubing diameter looked the same as most chromoly chassis.

It flexed so bad that the foot peg would almost hit the ground if you stepped on it. It threw the chain and/or went so violently crooked that it was unsafe to ride.

The Ti chassis was way lighter if the tubes were the same.

Titanium alloys :

G (young modulus) : 110 to 119GPA

D (density) : 4.4 to 4.5mg/m3

G/D (stiffness to weight ratio) 25-26.5

ChroMo Alloys:

G: 150-245

D: 7.75 to 9

G/D : 19.35 to 27.2

I rest my case. Dont try to bully your way out JT. You know Shee and machining, fair enough, but we are talking engineering/material here, we are not in the same league.

LOLOLOLOLOL

Cmon man.

Why in the hell would you want to make a Ti chassis the same weight as steel?

We could make an aluminum, wooden, fiberglass, bamboo, plastic.... any material and be the same weight as the steel and likely be as strong or stronger.

Weight IS the issue here. So you can teach us which is stronger per given weight or cross section or whatever but you lost sight of why we are debating this in the first place.

Cmon man.

Why in the hell would you want to make a Ti chassis the same weight as steel?

We could make an aluminum, wooden, fiberglass, bamboo, plastic.... any material and be the same weight as the steel and likely be as strong or stronger.

Weight IS the issue here. So you can teach us which is stronger per given weight or cross section or whatever but you lost sight of why we are debating this in the first place.

He doesn't understand the application so he has no clue. He just realized reading about Banshees isn't the same as hands on experience

You said in the SB : 'Take 1 inch tube same wall thickness in TI and chrom. Let me know what one flexes more'

You just show me that you dont undertand at all. The Ti tube will weight a lot less. Make them the same weight and the Ti tube will flex less.

That's what i mean when i say Ti p4p, will flex less than steel.

Yes, but that's not very practical. You say weight to weight? How big is a 10 pound cube of Ti vs a 10 pound cube of chromoly? When choosing tubing for a project I'm choosing tubing dimensions not weight, although weight is a factor. So yeah pound for pound stronger. But not always better when comparing material sizes in practical real world applications.