Building new hill bike...

05Special

Hey guys, haven't been on here in a bit. I sold my last bike. I used to run the New England hill limbs and am building a new bike for next season. Thinking of running a 10mm cheetah. I do ride a little , mostly climbing hills in pits. Anyone run a 10mm recreationally? Won't be much. Just curious as to how the ride ability is. I used to run a drag ported 4 mm stock cylinder with 34mm carbs and some other work. Did good numbers on the hill and always placed. Just looking to build a white knuckle monster that I can ride the pits here and there. Wondering how reliable the 10mm cheetahs are. Thanks guys

• Like 1

I himmed and hawed about doing a 10mm for several seasons. I wanted to see a few other fellas build them and kick the hell out of them and it is definitely happening now. Lots of 10 servals and cubs being trail ridden and duned recreationally. Even some DM's. The cheetahs are nice but need the right hands on them to be up to par with comparably CC sized motors.

Before you build anything you should look and see who all is running locally.

ATV hillclimbing is all but dead because the AMA refuses to make the clubs run the classes I proposed and were passed back in 2012.

D23 up in MN/WI has three riders left because of it. The WV area seems to be slowing too.

There were no more than 10 total ATV riders at Nationals this year.

I just hate to see you spend a fortune to go out and race stock bikes.

Before you build anything you should look and see who all is running locally.

ATV hillclimbing is all but dead because the AMA refuses to make the clubs run the classes I proposed and were passed back in 2012.

D23 up in MN/WI has three riders left because of it. The WV area seems to be slowing too.

There were no more than 10 total ATV riders at Nationals this year.

I just hate to see you spend a fortune to go out and race stock bikes.

If time constraints were no longer an issue, would you ever consider creating a club/association/group/whatever you wanna call it? You would probably be able to schedule dates at the same tracks. Just bounce a week ahead or behind the AMA schedule and it would piss the AMA folks right off.

The AMA here started to suck so I started racing random events else where. I just hate how much it costs, for the little bit of riding, and then it's a very I'll managed organization. They has bounced back couple seasons now, but it's because racers have demanded better organization.

If time constraints were no longer an issue, would you ever consider creating a club/association/group/whatever you wanna call it? You would probably be able to schedule dates at the same tracks. Just bounce a week ahead or behind the AMA schedule and it would piss the AMA folks right off.

The AMA here started to suck so I started racing random events else where. I just hate how much it costs, for the little bit of riding, and then it's a very I'll managed organization. They has bounced back couple seasons now, but it's because racers have demanded better organization.

From what I have seen in the past it wouldn't work. People are stuck on the AMA, as if they actually do anything for the sport. It's ridiculous.

Pay them $40 a year for nothing. That same money could go to the clubs for hill improvements, but they all insist on operating under the AMA umbrella.

Part of their reasoning was because it makes them look "legit." My argument was to who? NO ONE follows amateur hillclimbing because it gets no exposure.

There are about 200 hillclimbers across the country and not even all of them know what's going on most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I have seen in the past it wouldn't work. People are stuck on the AMA, as if they actually do anything for the sport. It's ridiculous.

Pay them $40 a year for nothing. That same money could go to the clubs for hill improvements, but they all insist on operating under the AMA umbrella.

Part of their reasoning was because it makes them look "legit." My argument was to who? NO ONE follows amateur hillclimbing because it gets no exposure.

There are about 200 hillclimbers across the country and not even all of them know what's going on most of the time.

Its gotten even worse in mx in some parts of the country too.   MX used to be thriving and due to a lot of politics and noise from four strokes tracks have closed too.