Any Interest In Carbon Fiber Parts?

trickedcarbine

I am doing a new chassis and there is a very strict diet going on this time. I have been doing a lot of hunting and came across a company that makes "Billit" style carbon fiber chunks. These said carbon fiber chunks are available in pieces large enough to CNC machine a variety of parts from. I have spoke to a few guys who machine Banshee parts and they are only willing to do small product runs at best as it's not worth the time to tool up for one part.

I have a small list of parts I think we can get made if the interest is there. Mind you this will be exactly the same as what a company already offers in aluminum. Same program just cut from carbon. Let me know what your thoughts are guys. Add to the list if you have a cool idea.

-Spindles (CF block with hub taper pressed in)

-Hubs

-Misc. levers (kicker, rear brake, front brake & clutch)

-Front Master ( don't expect the drag guys to be in on that)

-Rear master rezzy and cap

-Gas Cap

-Possible Round House Rear Brake Stay if required thickness is strong enough. Might need metal inserts.

Ive been around.....Atleast once, maybe twice.. So let me ask a few questions.

Spindals.... Are you talking OEM look alikes? If so, why are you using OEM on a custom chassis?

Hubs..... You are circle racing correct, and you're doing it with a pretty extensive clutch program as I recall? The BAC hubs will be fine. Ive spent some time around them in the drag world with some aggressive setups and they were ok. I, nor anyone else should have expected them to live on big HP, big tires, and strong clutch springs! 

Levers...... If you're serious about loosing weight then there is zero need for that kicker, and all the shit inside that goes with it. The rest, sure I can see that.

Brake stuff..... Scrap all the shit that you know in the bangshee world and look at the exotic mountain bike stuff..

Gas Cap.... Why are you running a cap? Pull a hose off the petcock and use a transfer pump to push it into the tank. Not convenient? If you're gonna get serious about weight you toss all that convenience shit out the window.  If you are going to fuck with anything it should be building a CF tank. 

Brake stay? Ok, if you continue to run all that junk sure. Why not run individual carrier bearings (again being light) and run a center mount brake rotor with the master held on by two small Ti tabs? 

Is your new chassis going to be 100% chromoly?

If not, you're wasting your time with all this stuff.

Absolutely zero reason to go this far unless its a full Moly/Ti setup. There is nothing on a factory chassis that is usable if you are looking to save weight. 

And let me toss this stuff out while Im here.

Aren't you racing in the winter? What are you using for cooling? Any chance to cut the radiator in half, and use half the amount of water? The delta T has gotta be high with outside temps that low. 

Be mindful of how much fuel you carry. A half gallon of extra fuel is 4 pounds.

Look for parts in and on the motor that have extra material. heads, cases, cylds, pistons, tranny, etc... ALL have placed to machine some weight off of them. 

Plastic bolts work better than anyone thinks!

I saw you were looking for HS glass.... That shit is HEAVY! Either naked or CF if you are wanting to get this serious

#1.... Go on a diet... The absolute cheapest way to get that fugger down in weight is the fat fuck on the seat!

Back to carbon HS then.

Green, I will adress all that in a bit here when I'm off the road.

No worries. PM me if you want. I know there are some things that people don't want out in the open about their setups. I can just offer what I've been around in the drag world. 

Ive been around.....Atleast once, maybe twice.. So let me ask a few questions.

Spindals.... Are you talking OEM look alikes? If so, why are you using OEM on a custom chassis?

(Not OEM style, pretty similar to some of the CNC Duner/Drag style. I found one that still has caliper provisions)

Hubs..... You are circle racing correct, and you're doing it with a pretty extensive clutch program as I recall? The BAC hubs will be fine. Ive spent some time around them in the drag world with some aggressive setups and they were ok. I, nor anyone else should have expected them to live on big HP, big tires, and strong clutch springs!

(Bac is on the right track, naturally they dealt with failures on axles and I guarantee it is because of pinch points. Carbon Fiber will do all kinds of bad ass stuff, but if it's not 100% it CAN NOT have stuff pinched tight. Thanks for the heads up on hubs already out there. I'll check them out.)

Levers...... If you're serious about loosing weight then there is zero need for that kicker, and all the shit inside that goes with it. The rest, sure I can see that.

(I contemplated building a bump start set up, but if you slide out and go back ward and the motor shuts down, you need to be able to get going in a hurry. I need to keep a kicker, but figure out how to get a little weight out of there.)

Brake stuff..... Scrap all the shit that you know in the bangshee world and look at the exotic mountain bike stuff..( ; ) shhhhhhh......)

Gas Cap.... Why are you running a cap? Pull a hose off the petcock and use a transfer pump to push it into the tank. Not convenient? If you're gonna get serious about weight you toss all that convenience shit out the window. If you are going to fuck with anything it should be building a CF tank.

(Lots of moto cross tanks out there for the Two Wheel guys. I have been trying to find a fuel safe resin that I can use to bond cut sheets, but not sure it is possible that way. I think a tank would need to be molded entirely. Maybe add that coating guys use when they restore old gas tanks?)

Brake stay? Ok, if you continue to run all that junk sure. Why not run individual carrier bearings (again being light) and run a center mount brake rotor with the master held on by two small Ti tabs?

(Would you be referring to one of those swing arms similar to what the the Sand Shark has?)

Absolutely zero reason to go this far unless its a full Moly/Ti setup. There is nothing on a factory chassis that is usable if you are looking to save weight.

(Lots of calls to chassis guys. It just blows my mind how many guys are willing to build crazy one off drag stuff, but anything else is a definite no. I am gonna try and work something out with Jordan on his look alike chassis with a couple changes.)

And let me toss this stuff out while Im here.

Aren't you racing in the winter? What are you using for cooling? Any chance to cut the radiator in half, and use half the amount of water? The delta T has gotta be high with outside temps that low.

(You would think being -any degree is making these things run cool, but that's definitely not the case. I fully intend to keep an aftermarket radiator. After a heat race it might live, but on the long mains it gets HOT. No ifs ands or buts about it. Maybe a rezzy delete though)

Be mindful of how much fuel you carry. A half gallon of extra fuel is 4 pounds.

(I show up with nothing more then fuel in the bowls and add about 1/2-3/4 gallon before the race depending on how many laps.)

Look for parts in and on the motor that have extra material. heads, cases, cylds, pistons, tranny, etc... ALL have placed to machine some weight off of them.

(Carrier, shift rod, and lots of hardware is getting changed. I will probably get with you further to see what else can be done)

Plastic bolts work better than anyone thinks!

(Again shhhhhh.)lol

I saw you were looking for HS glass.... That shit is HEAVY! Either naked or CF if you are wanting to get this serious

(Guess I'll go back to Carbon on that. I want it white and I hate to cover up cool shit like carbon fiber)

#1.... Go on a diet... The absolute cheapest way to get that fugger down in weight is the fat fuck on the seat!

(Been trying to find my inner rabbit sir. I can honestly shed 20 lbs before I start getting to veiny.)

Green, thanks for the input. It gets the wheels turning. I think it's possible to piggy back a few tricks from the drag fellas in to what I do and I will definitely be hitting you up for ideas if that's cool.

You do know hipers are carbon fiber right?

After the Bac stuff, guys are terrified of the Carbon Fiber shit. Guys need to remember what Indy and Formula One teams have been doing with Carbon Fiber for years. If it's done by someone who knows what they are doing it is an impressive material.

I wish i was closer to you. I'm very interested in those 'billet carbon block' and see what we can do with it cnc wize

Sended from the bottom of my hart

Distance is nothing with the connection Email and phones can provide. I'm sending you a PM.

After the Bac stuff, guys are terrified of the Carbon Fiber shit. Guys need to remember what Indy and Formula One teams have been doing with Carbon Fiber for years. If it's done by someone who knows what they are doing it is an impressive material.

Hell yeah. But people mostly think about the checker board designs stuff.

I beat the piss out of my hipers.

But I'm to cheap to buy anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

No worries. PM me if you want. I know there are some things that people don't want out in the open about their setups. I can just offer what I've been around in the drag world.

One year later and I've finally got the funds to quit dicking around. Honest question, whattya think would be a realistic target weight? Considering it's got full brakes(race tech rear) and a sway bar.