Any Interest In Carbon Fiber Parts?

trickedcarbine

I am doing a new chassis and there is a very strict diet going on this time. I have been doing a lot of hunting and came across a company that makes "Billit" style carbon fiber chunks. These said carbon fiber chunks are available in pieces large enough to CNC machine a variety of parts from. I have spoke to a few guys who machine Banshee parts and they are only willing to do small product runs at best as it's not worth the time to tool up for one part.

I have a small list of parts I think we can get made if the interest is there. Mind you this will be exactly the same as what a company already offers in aluminum. Same program just cut from carbon. Let me know what your thoughts are guys. Add to the list if you have a cool idea.

-Spindles (CF block with hub taper pressed in)

-Hubs

-Misc. levers (kicker, rear brake, front brake & clutch)

-Front Master ( don't expect the drag guys to be in on that)

-Rear master rezzy and cap

-Gas Cap

-Possible Round House Rear Brake Stay if required thickness is strong enough. Might need metal inserts.

Do they made some cutting yet? Did you see what kind of finishig you will get?

I dont think cnc'ed carbon part will have a nice finished surface, you will probably have to dip them in resin again to have a glossy finish.

Interesting project!

Sended from the bottom of my hart

Is it BAC to the future?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

No no no.... There was some hesatance about doing any structural parts, but I am only wanting it for flat track and hoping the drag guys would help generate a little interest as well. Remember Hiper has done well, however they use enough material to rival any comparable aluminum wheel's weight. These are the same Carbon ingots that Indy car teams are using. I've been looking at the shit people are CNC'ing with good results and am blown away. The bicycle stuff seems to have trouble on pinch points, which is part of what I believe causes the Bac failures as well. Carbon Fiber can take some abuse, but it does not like being clamped on or squeezed together, especially if it's hollow. The hubs and brake stay I definitely am going to try and test out though.

Again, what about the finish of the parts?

All just concept at this point. Agreed that there would have to be some form of finish. The raw blocks I saw are just that, RAW. It is a concern trying to figure out whether surface finish should be attempted on parts that may need tighter tolerances. I am trying to find someone who already has programs for some decent parts to do a few test parts. Worst case I send them to a buddy with a decent modeling arm of some sort to create a 3D model, and tweak from there.

All just concept at this point. Agreed that there would have to be some form of finish. The raw blocks I saw are just that, RAW. It is a concern trying to figure out whether surface finish should be attempted on parts that may need tighter tolerances. I am trying to find someone who already has programs for some decent parts to do a few test parts. Worst case I send them to a buddy with a decent modeling arm of some sort to create a 3D model, and tweak from there.

I wish i was closer to you. I'm very interested in those 'billet carbon block' and see what we can do with it cnc wize