Sprocket Teeth....how Many Is Best?

jasonsb

For the hill like olds, there are many different types of variables that have to be taken into account for someone to tell you the right gearing. Im 210 pounds and my friend is 270, i pull 5 gear with his bike and he can only pull 4th. So it depends on your motor and your weight. Nobody can tell you right of the bat what gear is good for your bike from the info you gave. It takes alot of trial and error to get it dialed in but its way worth it>

With my current porting I run a 16/42 gear ratio w/ 21x12x8 10 paddle haulers. I will be trying a 17t front when I get out to Dumont in March. Gearing will also very depending on the tires you run. If you overpaddle for your motor you will have to gear down... and vise-versa if you under paddle. How does your bike pull now? What kind of paddles are you running? How many paddles? Give us some more info and Im sure we can get you in the right direction.

Banshee 370, what gear are you pulling at comp hill (dumont) with a 16 41.  I know your not pulling 5th with a 370 motor.  If you are  i want to know what mods you have done.  Thanks, Sean

Sean:

I dont run a 370 anymore. I now run a drag ported 350. Ive never been to Dumont yet, so I cant say. I can say that I can pull much taller gearing w/ my 350 than I would have ever thought of with my 370. The last time I had my shee at Glamis I still had my 370 motor... I was able to let off the throttle and coast the rest of the way up Comp (at 3/4 hill) With my 350 I was able to pull 6th gear easily at Little Sahara Oklahoma, something I know I wouldnt have been able to do w/ my 370 and 10 paddle haulers.

I posted the first question on top...thanks for all the replies. Well, to answer some of your questions:

My motor puts out about 60-65 horsepower

+4 swingarm

sand shark v-paddels (I know they suck for drag...saving money for haulers 10 paddles and +6 swingarm)

I have to keep the bike in 4th gear to pull fast up OLds Hill.

Again...I ride my bike through the dunes to get to olds...I don't pull it on a trailer!

I hope this info helps on someone giving me advice on sprocket teeth!

A 12 44 gear ratio would probalbly put you at pulling 5th gear hard if you dont weigh more than 2 bills. You should be able to launch in 3rd. My wifes bike is at around 70hp and thats the gearing on it. I use to have the V paddle over ten years ago, worked great for the dunes but sucked for dragging.

Jason:

I dont know what you weigh but I think 10 paddle haulers will be too much for your motor. The +6 is great for the hill.... but you many not like it for duning. I've since sold my +6 and went to a +4 so I could dune more. You may want to keep the +4 for now and maybe get a set of 9 paddle haulers. I'm sure you would be able to sell either one to step up to more paddles/longer swingarm, but you can always see if you like what you have first.

Something that has been left out on this topic is torque. If your bike can pull the taller gearing then thats where I would start. You can have 100hp but if you dont have enough torque you wont be able to get yourself out of the hole or pull the hill with enough speed. I had a 370lr that dynoed around mid 70's hp. I ran 8 paddle haulers w/ stock gearing and a stock swingarm. I was happy at the time w/ its performance but as always I wanted more. Gearing is something you will have to play with to get the power where you want it.

The only trailer my machine sees is to get it to the dunes...

Just remember Going up one tooth on the front sprocket is like going down three in the rear. Taller gearing will gain you more top speed and can help lessen wheel spin. To gear down you want to go up on the rear sprocket or down in the front. That will put your power down low and hurt top end.

I would stay away from anything smaller than a 12t front sprocket. The sprocket is so small that it will make the chain bind some dune to stress. You will wear out the chain and frt sprocket faster than normal.

Hope this helps.

I hear you both. Gearing is one of my "dummy" areas. I get mixed up with the terms gearing up, down. Since I only weigh 180 lbs., I will try the 12 tooth. Also, my bike rips on the flats but doesn't seem to have torque up hills. Let me see how the bike runs after I do some minor repairs (new clutch, paddles, possible carb change)

thanks again

no way man, go w/ the 10 paddles. here's whats done to my shee. t5's, clamp on k&n's, timing advanced +4, and a 13 tooth up front, stock 41 on back. i run 21x12x8 10 paddle haulers. on a piped banshee. i come out of the hole in 2nd w/o any bog and it comes out hard. i can pull 5th easily. you'd be suprised how much paddle you really can pull. this is on the flats though. but still, its a piped banshee, no motor work, no other mods, stock carbs, still got the tors, all that shit.

Wicked:

I'm not saying your wrong... but a banshee comes w/ 6 gears... Can you run your shee all the way to the top of 6th w/ that gearing and those paddles? You do have to remember that he will be running up Olds/Comp/China wall. I would be willing to bet your banshee would not be able to pull 5th on China wall....

The sand out at Glamis is very soft at the bottoms of most hills...

Jason:

I would start w/ a 13t front, I think that may be the ticket for you.

i did say i run the flats. i know my banshee wouldnt pull it but if he's ported he might be able to. most drag banshees only run through 5th. not many bikes (even big bikes) pull 6th w/ alot of paddles in the sand. usually you only run 2-5. i dont know what all mods he has. i'd agree w/ you that a 13 is the best place to start.