Drag Racing Timing System

SlowerThanYou

There was some discussion & questions going on in the Shout Box a couple of weeks ago. It had to do with staging on the drag strip.

I would like to start with some very basics of where/how a timed drag race begins. This is basically the same for all surfaces, but some of the procedures may be slightly different.

I would like to keep this organized & not stray off the current subject(s).

We'll start with the pre-stage/stage lights & beams (refer to diagram below):

The pre-stage light (tree) comes on when the front of your tire breaks the infrared pre-stage light

beam across your lane. This is basically a warning to both rider's/racer's in either lane they are getting close to staging.

Next, is the stage light (tree) when the front of your tire breaks the infrared stage light beam across your lane. When both rider's/racer's are staged is when the race can start.

The tree can be activated in a couple different ways to start the race, manually & auto-start. That will be the next subject & why that's important for you to know!

Notes for future subjects:

- When does the timer start in your lane.

- How to change your reaction times & ET with staging.

Please stay on the current subject, pre-stage & stage! We will move on when they are exhausted.

StagingBeamsChristmasTreeCapture_zps1e1a

The tree can be activated in a couple different ways to start the race, manually & auto-start. That will be the next subject & why that's important for you to know!

Some systems still being used, will use a manual start. Meaning, both vehicles must be staged & the starter will manually activate/start the tree. 

Auto-start, this is where things will bite a racer in the behind. It happens mainly to newbie's, but have seen it happen to veteran's also. Auto-start is starting to show-up on 300' races, but the majority seem to still use the manual start. 

Look at the tree in the above post. This is where auto-start comes into play. When 3 lights are lit in the staging process & it could be in the other lane also. The tree gets activated, there's an adjustable time before the tree starts. Usually the time is set between 8-10 seconds. No big deal if you go ahead & finish staging with-in the time setting. If not you get a red light start & lose the race.

So, where am I going with this. Asphalt, auto-start is used at the majority of race tracks & almost everyone understands it. Still, it will bite people in the ass if they don't pay attention. 

Sand/dirt 300', auto-start is new & I've raced at one track that had it. I watched a bunch of red lights & most people didn't understand why. The problem lies with the rider/racer procedure. They clean their bike out with the pre-stage bulb on. If the other lane already has both pre & stage lights lit. The auto-start timer has been activated. No big deal if you stage with-in the time limit, but some of these elaborate clean-out rituals will result in a BIG RED LIGHT!

There are some good & bad countermeasures you can do with this process. LOL! We may/may not discuss them.

The auto-start process was put in place to speed up the race & take staging games out of the race. It was probably started for other reasons too. Can games still be played & slow down the race? Yep!

This will be good!

Probably more ways than I wish, but I'm bored. It should make for some cheap entertainment!

Notes for future subjects:

- When does the timer start in your lane.

- How to change your reaction times & ET with staging.

Brian, you need to add subjects about Beam jumping and Guard beams along with RT and ET's with staging.

Thanks for the input & was planning on adding them subjects. I'm trying to find a logical system for this type discussion in the open forums. I learned some from the Lock-out/Lock-up thread, but I still think it's a tough deal with these subjects in forums.

Have you seen the auto start used in heads up racing? and if so does it take both lanes or one to stage before the process starts?

I didn't know if they did or didn't, until doing some research. I know NHRA heads-up does & I will provide the link. I also went back to our LA. time slips from last year. Auto-start was being used in all runs we made, including heads-up racing.

One lane has to be staged & the other has to be pre-staged. 3 staging lights lit to activate auto-start.

This link also provides other reasons for the auto-start system.

http://www.competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&id=9326&Itemid=24

both lanes need to be staged before it starts.. 

There's the misconception, 3 staging lights activates the timer. If the last one doesn't stage within the time limit the tree starts. Giving the one who does not stage a red light. If they are both staged with-in the time limit, the tree starts.

Maybe this will help a little more. This can all be changed depending on what the track wants, but sometimes the Organization will mandate the numbers.

AUTOSTART

National Trail Raceway utilizes the CompuLink AutoStart system for all races. The starter may override the AutoStart system at any time if the situation warrants. NTR follows the NHRA Division 3 guidelines for all AutoStart settings.  The settings for the system are as follows:

Stage minimum:       0.60          (The amount of time from a tire breaking the beam to begin AutoStart)
Staged to start:         1.10          (The amount of time that both cars are staged to start AutoStart countdown)
Timeout Total:          10             (When one car is staged and the other is pre-staged, this is the amount of time before the tree starts)

Timeout total is what I'm referring to with 3 stage lights activated. Gives the red light, so fouled is right & I had the wrong terminology.

The stage minimum & staged to start is confusing. It should be a random number between them 2 numbers to keep from guessing at the tree activation. It explains that in the link I provided.

I'm trying to understand what you're wanting people to contribute here; if anything. :confused: I missed the shoutbox discussion.

Not wanting anything, but open discussion. Instead of the same old cookie cutter discussions. I thought I would bring something up to help with some confusion. Some of it was related to the shout box. Some related to people getting red lighted because of auto-start & not staging in a timely manner.

Fouled contributed & JUAN had a couple questions. If you don't understand, well I'll leave it at that.

I understand you don't feel a need for this, but I'm sure some peeps do.

I'm bored & have nothing to do during my recovery. This helps pass the time.

You explained everything very well in your initial post; and in the follow up posts. That's really why I don't know what else to add, I guess.