Drag Racing Timing System

SlowerThanYou

We try to use the courtesy stage method at all times. As do most sand/dirt racers.

Is that when you pre-stage and then wait for the other guy to pre-stage and then you stage or is it when you let them pre-stage before you?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

We try to use the courtesy stage method at all times. As do most sand/dirt racers.

This can be a hot topic at the races sometimes! Asphalt racing in some classes it's a rule, you have to courtesy stage. If you don't do it, you get a red light disqualification.

Now, on the classes that don't require it. A few people still think that you have to do it. I personally don't like doing it if I don't have to. To me a good majority of racer's spend to much time dinking around with their race procedures (both asphalt/sand). I prefer to get the race started & not waste time.

We sometimes use it as a physiological advantage against our opponent. Example: We used it on an opponent that thinks everyone has to courtesy stage. We new their weakness & exploited it to our advantage.They focus to much energy on what the other racer is doing or not doing. I can explain, if anyone wishes to here.

Now for 300' sand/dirt, I looked at the Pro Sand Drag Association (PSDA) rules. I saw nothing about courtesy staging in the rules. I think most racer's think there needs to be a courtesy stage for clean out purposes. That's what I've observed in my 6 times to the sand.

Right or wrong I still don't chose to use the courtesy stage on sand. There's little to no need for a clean out on our bike, on race gas or alky. My son likes to get up there & do numerous brapps on the throttle. I guess he feels the need to here it or waste my money.

This is usually what happens with us on sand. We normally clean out right before the pre-stage light/beam & wait for our opponent to pre-stage. The majority of our opponents want us to pre-stage 1st. I really think that's bad for them with the auto-start timeout system. Anyway, majority of times we will pre-stage 1st & wait for them to do the same. The split second they pre-stage & the courtesy has been met. We go ahead & stage. This still puts pressure on the 2nd racer to stage with-in the timeout function. It's just a different way to skin the cat.

J-M, may or may not agree, but we are following the rules or lack of rules. Plus, we can still use the courtesy stage to our advantage in certain situations.

This can be a hot topic at the races sometimes! Asphalt racing in some classes it's a rule, you have to courtesy stage. If you don't do it, you get a red light disqualification.

Now, on the classes that don't require it. A few people still think that you have to do it. I personally don't like doing it if I don't have to. To me a good majority of racer's spend to much time dinking around with their race procedures (both asphalt/sand). I prefer to get the race started & not waste time.

We sometimes use it as a physiological advantage against our opponent. Example: We used it on an opponent that thinks everyone has to courtesy stage. We new their weakness & exploited it to our advantage.They focus to much energy on what the other racer is doing or not doing. I can explain, if anyone wishes to here.

Now for 300' sand/dirt, I looked at the Pro Sand Drag Association (PSDA) rules. I saw nothing about courtesy staging in the rules. I think most racer's think there needs to be a courtesy stage for clean out purposes. That's what I've observed in my 6 times to the sand.

Right or wrong I still don't chose to use the courtesy stage on sand. There's little to no need for a clean out on our bike, on race gas or alky. My son likes to get up there & do numerous brapps on the throttle. I guess he feels the need to here it or waste my money.

This is usually what happens with us on sand. We normally clean out right before the pre-stage light/beam & wait for our opponent to pre-stage. The majority of our opponents want us to pre-stage 1st. I really think that's bad for them with the auto-start timeout system. Anyway, majority of times we will pre-stage 1st & wait for them to do the same. The split second they pre-stage & the courtesy has been met. We go ahead & stage. This still puts pressure on the 2nd racer to stage with-in the timeout function. It's just a different way to skin the cat.

J-M, may or may not agree, but we are following the rules or lack of rules. Plus, we can still use the courtesy stage to our advantage in certain situations.

Good to know, now I won't feel bad if I don't do it:D

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 years later...

TTT Because for the first time in months there's some quality conversation about what is right/wrong fair/unfair in regards to a bit of a roll.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I forgot all about this. Having not gone back to re read all of that, I think not courtesy staging is pretty shitty. I mean you don't have to sit there and wait while someone cleans their motor out for 30 seconds, but to roll into the second bulb immediately after the other guy prestages is wrong. If I see people doing that we take a different approach to staging so as not to get caught not ready on an autostart system. And beat your ass anyway. There is also a short time allowed on the system to back out of the prestage, but that's iffy.

If it's not autostart and someone wants to do that, then depending on which jockey I have, you can sit your ass there all day long. Trey is a lot nicer than Patterson!

• Like 1