my first polishing attempt

Jgspahn

Well after reading through old topics and hitting some folks up on the messenger here, I attempted to try to learn this polishing stuff. It turned out ok, but not good enough. My process was wet sanding from 320 all the way to 2000, then using an air powered dye grinder with a cotton polishing with brown followed by white compound. I can't seen to get that last bit of haze to go away tho :(.. Does anybody have any tips for that, and also, how do you "seal" it after you finish, because it scratches super easy now.. Thanks guys

Before

IMG_20130223_174353_691.jpg

After

IMG_20130225_185833_716.jpg

How do you Clean it?

I just use a blade from a hacksaw. Fire up the wheel and run the teeth across it. Takes the build up off and your good to go.

Gotta warn ya though. Polishing is a pain in the ass. There is no secret or magic trick. Just time consuming & tedious work .

Troy

• Like 1

Well I'm an ole boring engineer, so tedious isn't that bad lol and as long as I can get it to come out looking good it will be worth it. I was looking into just buying a bench grinder from harbor freight. They are 3/4 HP. Would that be powerful enough?

Start over. Bench buffer with brown tripoli and tight spiral wheel, then white with loose cotton wheel.

Eastwood has some sealer that's supposed to be really good stuff. Never used it though.

When you say start over.... Lets say I have some haze.. Is it part of the process to back up after white compound and use brown again and then back to white?

Get a bench buffer instead or maybe a combination grinder/buffer. It'll give you more room for big stuff. The smaller the motor, the slower it will turn when you apply pressure with the part.

Will 3/4 HP suffice? If so, awesome.. If not, how big?