Takai Performance coils/wires

Schweet97Z

Like I told you in the PM, without dyno sheets proving this kit is worth $500, they are wasting their time. NO ONE is going to spend that kind of money without some sort of proof. And with all due respect, your "testing" isn't going to mean or prove anything to anyone.

What is the difference between their dyno sheets to my dyno sheets? I know im one to believe a 2nd party dyno with back to back testing over a company throwing a number out to the consumer trying to promote their products like so many after market companys due these days, such as K&N, Edelbrock, MSD, etc, etc.....As I stated in my first post I have never found an ignition system to work better than a stock setup. But im keeping an open mind about this. All I ask is everyone else do the same.

Also an update. Takai is probably going to be sending me another bracket to mount the coils vertical instead or horizontal.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the difference between their dyno sheets to my dyno sheets? I know im one to believe a 2nd party dyno with back to back testing over a company throwing a number out to the consumer trying to promote their products like so many after market companys due these days, such as K&N, Edelbrock, MSD, etc, etc.....As I stated in my first post I have never found an ignition system to work better than a stock setup. But im keeping an open mind about this. All I ask is everyone else do the same.

Also an update. Takai is probably going to be sending me another bracket to mount the coils vertical instead or horizontal.

Well if you're going to dyno test this setup against stock, then that will tell us more than just going out and riding it. I was under the impression you were just going by how it felt to you after installation.

What difference does it make how the coils are installed?

Also, I see someone registered the name Takai earlier. They don't intend on posting in here?

Well if you're going to dyno test this setup against stock, then that will tell us more than just going out and riding it. I was under the impression you were just going by how it felt to you after installation.

What difference does it make how the coils are installed?

Also, I see someone registered the name Takai earlier. They don't intend on posting in here?

Yes I will be doing back to back dyno tests from the stock coil to the Takai Coils

They dont want the coils to be grounded to any metal. Nylon hardware is included so the coils dont lose energy by HV Corona effect. They are also wanting this kit to bolt up to factory frame for easy install, with no other brackets needed.

I wasn't aware they signed up. Maybe they changed their mind? Im sure they will answer any questions that arrise, with diagrams to back their claims. Just be respectful which will keep the bashing to a minimum.

If you want to make it a real challenge, I say use another third party coil and wires as well.

Stock, I vote for Nology coil and hot wires, and the Takai setup.

I'm going to try and stay positive on this...and will watch this with great interest. My old 10 mil on alky and before that my 4 mil cub on gas always started very, very easy.

I always accounted that to pretty good tuning and a good ignition setup. I really liked my old Nology setup I got from FAST.

I'm curious, but naturally skeptical of this... I hope this thread remains civil and informative. I applaud Schweetz for doing the right thing in asking for the owner's permission to post this.

Being a track kinda guy, I'd have to see a big difference in dyno runs to even think it would make a difference at the track...

Watching with interest!

I will say this, for bling factor I think they look pretty damn cool...:)

Well I got the coils mocked up today. I used a JDS Customs Nology coil bracket that I had and modified it a bit to work with these coils. The wiring harness that they included is wrong. So I have to modift that in order for it to work as well. Other that that the install went smooth and it was rather quick and painless. I wasn't able to start it as I need some male spade connectors.

Banshee1.jpg

Banshee2.jpg

Banshee3.jpg

Banshee4.jpg

Banshee5.jpg

looks pretty, but damn, $550 and they couldnt even give the right harness? what will it be a 1hp gain if anything? i dont think thats worth that kinda money IMO

If you want to make it a real challenge, I say use another third party coil and wires as well.

Stock, I vote for Nology coil and hot wires, and the Takai setup.

I'm going to try and stay positive on this...and will watch this with great interest. My old 10 mil on alky and before that my 4 mil cub on gas always started very, very easy.

I always accounted that to pretty good tuning and a good ignition setup. I really liked my old Nology setup I got from FAST.

I'm curious, but naturally skeptical of this... I hope this thread remains civil and informative. I applaud Schweetz for doing the right thing in asking for the owner's permission to post this.

Being a track kinda guy, I'd have to see a big difference in dyno runs to even think it would make a difference at the track...

Watching with interest!

I will say this, for bling factor I think they look pretty damn cool...:)

I can do that test if it interests you. I can steal the Nology coil setup off my friends Banshee. I appreciate the feedback and the positive attitude.

looks pretty, but damn, $550 and they couldnt even give the right harness? what will it be a 1hp gain if anything? i dont think thats worth that kinda money IMO

Yea the harness didn't have the right spade connectors. It was overlooked and noted and this is why its a trial setup before it becomes production.

i'd like to see a compareable PRICE version as well. for 550 i can buy 2 nology single fire coils and a dyna programable ignition. id love to see a test with jetting changes and compare these with a nology coil set up VS bone stock VS nology / dyna cdi, and maybe a digital PVL or analog PVL..

also would a COP coil from a gm work? thats what these look like. or possibly even a slightly modified yfz 450 coil? tell them that their high priced bs is just going to sit on the shelf.

if your bike is fouling a plug from sitting i REALLY doubt its from a weak spark on one cylinder.

i'd like to see a compareable PRICE version as well. for 550 i can buy 2 nology single fire coils and a dyna programable ignition. id love to see a test with jetting changes and compare these with a nology coil set up VS bone stock VS nology / dyna cdi, and maybe a digital PVL or analog PVL..

also would a COP coil from a gm work? thats what these look like. or possibly even a slightly modified yfz 450 coil? tell them that their high priced bs is just going to sit on the shelf.

if your bike is fouling a plug from sitting i REALLY doubt its from a weak spark on one cylinder.

Cam that would be a great test, however I dont have any of the listed setups available. I know this is a long shot, but if someone wants to loan theirs out for testing, id be more than happy to thow it on mine....but im not going to front the costs for the setups for testing. I think we should compare apples to apples. The only thing im replacing are the coils. Maybe we should just stick with coils only to see what happens. I think a good test is the Stock vs Nology vs Takai as the stock and Nology setup is used by 90% of the community.

Cam that would be a great test, however I dont have any of the listed setups available. I know this is a long shot, but if someone wants to loan theirs out for testing, id be more than happy to thow it on mine....but im not going to front the costs for the setups for testing. I think we should compare apples to apples. The only thing im replacing are the coils. Maybe we should just stick with coils only to see what happens. I think a good test is the Stock vs Nology vs Takai as the stock and Nology setup is used by 90% of the community.

I wholeheartedly agree.

PVL is beyond the realm of many's understanding.

Dyno stock, Nology and this device.

IF this device jumps off the page, they may have a winner. If not...it'll join the ranks of boost bottles.

on a wasted spark setup one spark plug is being fired "backwards". if that makes sense to describe it that way.

http://news.carjunky.com/how_stuff_works/how_ignition_coil_or_spark_coil_works_ic2315.shtml

the way the setup that takai coils are setup casts doubt to me that they will perform better as you are now powering 2 coils from a single source, to put it simply.

there is -nothing- wrong with the way the banshee coil setup. it has been used successfully on many high output engines in many realms.

For $550, what kind of HP increase would everyone want to see? I think at LEAST 5HP before anyone would even consider buying them.

5 to 10HP and a tenth to tenth and a half at the track (300 foot) and 2-3 tenths in 1/8 or 1/4 mile for the pavement guys.

You can buy power elsewhere for 550 bucks. Some of the fastest bikes on the planet with the best builders use stock ignition.

On that same note...as I've said, I spent I believe around 120 or 130 bucks for the Nology coil and wires on my old bike.

I spent that for a few reasons...one, trick. It looked nicer and cleaner. But more importantly, anyone with any knowledge of electrical will tell you a good ground is crucial.

The hotwires with their extra ground strap give you that. Can you run an extra few wires to ensure a good ground, absolutely....but those braided steel cables for ground look killer...:)

550 Dollars Fuck that. I would run the a stock coil and a good port job. And join Twice the hp. Tell them good fucking luck on that one.

I would hope someone would have a port job before spending money like that on ignition...but thanks for covering the basic steps.

5 to 10HP and a tenth to tenth and a half at the track (300 foot) and 2-3 tenths in 1/8 or 1/4 mile for the pavement guys.

You can buy power elsewhere for 550 bucks. Some of the fastest bikes on the planet with the best builders use stock ignition.

On that same note...as I've said, I spent I believe around 120 or 130 bucks for the Nology coil and wires on my old bike.

I spent that for a few reasons...one, trick. It looked nicer and cleaner. But more importantly, anyone with any knowledge of electrical will tell you a good ground is crucial.

The hotwires with their extra ground strap give you that. Can you run an extra few wires to ensure a good ground, absolutely....but those braided steel cables for ground look killer...:)

I would hope someone would have a port job before spending money like that on ignition...but thanks for covering the basic steps.

you would surprised how many people would buy Ignitions heads or thinking that boring there jugs to A 66mm would give they tons of power... I run stock coils on all my bikes with no problems. So for 550 it better give me at least 10 to 15 more hp.. just my 2 Cents.