how to tell if you have a bad stator

gstaten24

hey all, i was just wondering how you would tell if you have a bad stator? i know all my other electrical parts are good because i have swapped them with known good ones. my bike cuts out on the left side when i try to get on it. i know the jetting is good because it ran fine before. i have a high output stator not sure which brand though, i know the ricky stators are known for going bad right away. is there a way to check your stator without taking it out and checking the ohms?

hey all, i was just wondering how you would tell if you have a bad stator? i know all my other electrical parts are good because i have swapped them with known good ones. my bike cuts out on the left side when i try to get on it. i know the jetting is good because it ran fine before. i have a high output stator not sure which brand though, i know the ricky stators are known for going bad right away. is there a way to check your stator without taking it out and checking the ohms?

You don't have to take it out, you just unplug it from the bike harness and check the resistance at the plug.

So I checked my stator it's a lectrics (dont know how to spell it) 200 watt. The pickup coil resistance was 116 which is in specs however re charging coil resistance was 10.7 and the min for that is 13.7. Also my primary on the ignition coil was .5 with the max being .38 so I kno I have to get a new coil, also my secondary was OL so I'm guessing I need new wires too. Thing is I replaced the coil and wires bout a year b a half ago, around same time i got the stator. Could the low resistance be causing the coil to short? Sorry for the long post but thanks for the help!!

Yea new plugs, just because it only does it when I put a load on the engine. If I'm in neutral and hit the throttle it runs fine no problems at all but when I put it in gear and try to take off I have the problem. I've had this issue for well over 8 mnths now and I've had those carbs apart 100 times cleaning em, making sure EVERYTHING is the same and still have the same problem. I also thought maybe a bad reed, swapped reeds and still same problem.

Yea new plugs, just because it only does it when I put a load on the engine. If I'm in neutral and hit the throttle it runs fine no problems at all but when I put it in gear and try to take off I have the problem. I've had this issue for well over 8 mnths now and I've had those carbs apart 100 times cleaning em, making sure EVERYTHING is the same and still have the same problem. I also thought maybe a bad reed, swapped reeds and still same problem.

I could tell my stator was bad because I caught it smoking cigarettes and drinking.

Try swapping plug wires to the other side and see if the issue changes sides.