Testing ignition coil

Bill

I am testing the ignition coil and I got a problem.

When I test the primary coil I only get 00.6 ohms when its supposed to be around 0.28-0.38 ohms.

And when I test the secondary coil (leads) I get nothing when its supposed to be around 4,700-7,100.

Im testing it exactly the way the Clymer manual explains.

I cleaned both ends of the leads and put new spark plug ends on.

Is this coil junk? :confused:

When I test the primary coil I only get 00.6 ohms when its supposed to be around 0.28-0.38 ohms.

And when I test the secondary coil (leads) I get nothing when its supposed to be around 4,700-7,100.

Clymer manual was wrote wrong and not sure if it was ever fixed. Secondary is from plug wire to plug wire, not plug wire to chassis ground.

Always put your meter leads together before testing a circuit and compensate if meter does not zero out. You can also remove the spark plug leads from the coil as ALMOST ALL problems related to Banshee coil problems stem from that termination or the plug wires/caps. Read the coil itself is RARELY bad. You can trim a portion of the coil wire off and reterminate at the coil.

Please PM for more info if you need it.

Brandon

I have 3 different coils. Two of them mine and one off my friends running banshee and I'm getting the samething you are out of all three of them.

I dunno wtf???

Clymer manual was wrote wrong and not sure if it was ever fixed. Secondary is from plug wire to plug wire, not plug wire to chassis ground.

Always put your meter leads together before testing a circuit and compensate if meter does not zero out. You can also remove the spark plug leads from the coil as ALMOST ALL problems related to Banshee coil problems stem from that termination or the plug wires/caps. Read the coil itself is RARELY bad. You can trim a portion of the coil wire off and reterminate at the coil.

Please PM for more info if you need it.

Brandon

Tried plug wire to plug wire too and still nothing. All three coils I have can't be bad especailly since one of them is off a running bike.

Anyone else have more suggestions?

I have 3 different coils. Two of them mine and one off my friends running banshee and I'm getting the samething you are out of all three of them.

I dunno wtf???

Tried plug wire to plug wire too and still nothing. All three coils I have can't be bad especailly since one of them is off a running bike.

Anyone else have more suggestions?

Find another meter. :blush: If the coils work yet test bad, that should say something about the test method. Might visit a competent electronics guy to have them tested with high quality equipment to compare to your tests.

B

Find another meter. :blush: If the coils work yet test bad, that should say something about the test method. Might visit a competent electronics guy to have them tested with high quality equipment to compare to your tests.

B

I went and bought a new ohm tester last night :confused: It gets ohm's off of everything besides the plug wires.

I went and bought a new ohm tester last night :confused: It gets ohm's off of everything besides the plug wires.

does it reach up that high? I know my Fluke 336 only goes to like 5000 ohms. I would surely test with another meter. What meter did you buy? Can you offer a model?

Did you remove the plug wires from the coil and test just the coil?

does it reach up that high? I know my Fluke 336 only goes to like 5000 ohms. I would surely test with another meter. What meter did you buy? Can you offer a model?

Did you remove the plug wires from the coil and test just the coil?

I can adjust it from 200 to 2000k ohm's. Don't know the brand but the model number is DT830. And I have tried them off and on the quad.

I can adjust it from 200 to 2000k ohm's. Don't know the brand but the model number is DT830. And I have tried them off and on the quad.

http://www.bestofferbuy.com/Digital-Multim..._campaign=gbase

Maybe something like this?

I am not sure I would put much faith in that meter. IMO, at least get a decent Crapsman meter with auto ranging and true RMS. If you have someone else that will test these coils, that would be best.

So did you remove the "wires" from the "coil". They unclip and come off the coil entirely. This will allow you to test the coil separate from the wires.

http://www.bestofferbuy.com/Digital-Multim..._campaign=gbase

Maybe something like this?

I am not sure I would put much faith in that meter. IMO, at least get a decent Crapsman meter with auto ranging and true RMS. If you have someone else that will test these coils, that would be best.

So did you remove the "wires" from the "coil". They unclip and come off the coil entirely. This will allow you to test the coil separate from the wires.

Its similar to that one. And I have a craftman too, but this one seems to work better lol. And yes I have tried them with the wires unclipped.

Its similar to that one. And I have a craftman too, but this one seems to work better lol. And yes I have tried them with the wires unclipped.

Not sure what else to say other than you might have some voodoo cloud over your house where the laws of physics do not apply. :biggrin:

Take them elsewhere or round up other meters to try or send them to me to be tested.

Brandon

Not sure what else to say other than you might have some voodoo cloud over your house where the laws of physics do not apply. :biggrin:

Take them elsewhere or round up other meters to try or send them to me to be tested.

Brandon

I'm leaning towards the voodoo thing...lol. But I stayed up all night last thursday so I could have it ready for memorial weekend. It was all ready to go besides the wiring because I couldnt get spark. So I decided to just load it up and get it done at the dunes. I worked on it all weekend and I even came home a day early to get it figured out and still no spark. I have tried 3 coils, 3 stators and 2 CDI's. All three stators tested good. And CDI's were off running bikes. It's really pissing me off!!! lol

I'm leaning towards the voodoo thing...lol. But I stayed up all night last thursday so I could have it ready for memorial weekend. It was all ready to go besides the wiring because I couldnt get spark. So I decided to just load it up and get it done at the dunes. I worked on it all weekend and I even came home a day early to get it figured out and still no spark. I have tried 3 coils, 3 stators and 2 CDI's. All three stators tested good. And CDI's were off running bikes. It's really pissing me off!!! lol

What about a break in the wire harness itself?

Did you paint your frame or engine? Ground between chassis and motor are VERY important. I really doubt you have a component failure and the ignition coils as I have always preached, are VERY durable and rarely fail even though people replace them like candy when they do not have fire.

Check grounds carefully, I am somewhat confident it is ground related. Something grounded that should not be or should and is not.

B

Did you paint your frame or engine? Ground between chassis and motor are VERY important. I really doubt you have a component failure and the ignition coils as I have always preached, are VERY durable and rarely fail even though people replace them like candy when they do not have fire.

Check grounds carefully, I am somewhat confident it is ground related. Something grounded that should not be or should and is not.

B

I am going to run all new grounds because I do not believe I am getting a good ground from my all aluminum frame. But I wanted to make sure all my other componets were good before I went off chasing a ghost ground.