changing oil?

hello i want to change the oil in the banshee... what oil do i put in her? and how many drain plugs are there?

how often should i change the oil? thanks

1 drain plug. 1 filler cap. you will hear 50 different types of oil to use on here. I run bel ray gear saver in winter (all 4 weeks of it) and regular 80w gear oil the remainder of the year and like it more over everything else with less slippage and less plate stick. changes depend on how often you ride, how much wear it sees on plates, and oil used.

a magnetic drain plug will make changes less frequent. I change mine maybe every 20-25 hours on the banshee and castrol 10w-40 every 10 hours in the yfz450.

1 drain plug. 1 filler cap. you will hear 50 different types of oil to use on here. I run bel ray gear saver in winter (all 4 weeks of it) and regular 80w gear oil the remainder of the year and like it more over everything else with less slippage and less plate stick. changes depend on how often you ride, how much wear it sees on plates, and oil used.

a magnetic drain plug will make changes less frequent. I change mine maybe every 20-25 hours on the banshee and castrol 10w-40 every 10 hours in the yfz450.

im sorry for my stupidity, but whats the filler cap? is that just where u check to see the level of oil? I ride everyday about 2 hours or more? but it is defintly gear oil and not motor oil ?? because some ppl have been telling me motor oil? thank you

im sorry for my stupidity, but whats the filler cap? is that just where u check to see the level of oil? I ride everyday about 2 hours or more? but it is defintly gear oil and not motor oil ?? because some ppl have been telling me motor oil? thank you

Def gear saver. Do you have a manual? Im a newbie as well............But i know what a dipstick is lol. Im not tryin to be an ass. Yes the filler cap has a dip stick attached to it as well to check the level. Didt you check the fluids before you ride? NO MOTOR OIL not heavy enough weight.

Edited by 2strokesmoker

I just use trans type F I change it after a weekend of riding from the dunes. and depends on how hard I ride in the summer maybe every other weekend riding

type F is cheap so i figure it is easy to just keep fresh oil in it...but i have ran 10W40 with good luck and just started using Type F because its cheaper

Edited by GrMeyer

I just use trans type F

Same here. I use it because of the low viscosity. It really made a huge difference shifting. I used to use Motul. I just did a complete rebuild, and my transmission looked like brand new. I change the fluid about every 10-12 hours. Whatever you use, make sure it's made for wet clutches. Motor oil is not made for wet clutches.

• 1 month later...

i know it is an old thread but i searched about using ATF TYPE F, right now i am using Supertech 10w-40....i bought Supertech ATF F....but i will like to know if this oil will be right to use it on summer (100 F)....o should i keep adding 10w-40...also i use my banshee almost every weekend...thanks

i know it is an old thread but i searched about using ATF TYPE F, right now i am using Supertech 10w-40....i bought Supertech ATF F....but i will like to know if this oil will be right to use it on summer (100 F)....o should i keep adding 10w-40...also i use my banshee almost every weekend...thanks

I live in Phoenix and it doesnt get much hotter than here. We run just your basic 10/40 motor oil and change it about once every 4 to 6 rides and never had a problem. I think the book says to use a quart of oil but we run 1 3/4 to ensure the clutches get enough oil.

so i guess i should stick with running 10w40 instead of trying atf type f....i just dont wanna fry my clutch with the hot summer..!!

It won't hurt it. Many people run the ATF even with overrides. Think of it as a lubricant for a wet clutch, just like is in a car right.

I live in the middle of the mojave desert. Not as hot as phoenix, but 110+ all summer. I've ran castrol gtx 10/40 for years with no issues. Read somewhere a long time ago, it doesn't matter what you run, as long as you change it often. Way cheaper than gear oil from the motorcycle shop too.

The oil confuses a lot of people. They see they are pouring it in the engine so they think it is engine oil. It absolutly doesnt lubercate the engine at all, so your not going to fry anything. Full size pickups and cars that have manual transmissions run ATF for lubercation.

I use to run engine oil, but the oils that are specifically designed for 2 stroke transmissions shift better. I didnt like having to change the oil all the time with ATF.

I have used Bel Ray Gear Saver 75w, Honda HP80, and Silkolene Comp Gear.

The Silkolene Comp Gear stayed the cleanest the longest. It is even saft to use with aluminum clutch plates. I emailed the Silkolene about using SRG75 and they didnt recomend it since the banshee has a wet clutch and not really considered a big bike.

http://www.silkoleneusa.com/gear_oil.aspx?..._OBJ_ID=1048908