how do i put on a kill switch?

tommilo

i bought a 88 banshee and it does not have a kill switch well the one on the left bar os not hooked up. what wires do i use to connect a kill switch? any info great. thanks

Black wire grounded to bare spot on frame,Red wire sliced into orange wire going to coil.

Black wire grounded to bare spot on frame,Red wire sliced into orange wire going to coil.

That is hard on CDI's. Dyna FS says not to do it that way. Hook the ground wire of the teather to the black wire that goes in to the handle bar kill switch. Hook the other wire to the Black wire with White stripe. This is how the stock kill switch works. When you ground the black/white wire to the black wire it kills the engine.

http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/support/dynatek_faq.aspx#610

How do I properly wire a tether kill switch?

Most tether kill switches sold are normally open with the tether key installed. Once the tether key is removed, the switch will close itself, creating a short to whatever circuit it wired to. This should not be used to ground the high voltage signal to the ignition coil.

WARNING: Installation of a grounded tether kill switch to the ignition coil signal will damage the ignition. Consult your individual instruction manual for specific wiring instructions.

RECOMMENDED: Magneto- Source coil CDI (Banshee / 400EX / 250R / MX bikes / etc): Use a NORMALY OPEN tether kill switch connected to the stock kill switch. When tether is removed the switch should ground the kill input into the ignition.

12V DC-CDI (Raptor / Z400 / KFX400 / ETC): Use a NORMALLY CLOSED tether kill switch connected in series with the +12V input to the ignition. When the tether is removed, it should disconnect the +12V power to the ignition. Most battery equipped quads have a RUN/STOP switch which disconnects +12V power, a NORMALLY CLOSED tether switch can be installed in series of these wires.

That is hard on CDI's. Dyna FS says not to do it that way. Hook the ground wire of the teather to the black wire that goes in to the handle bar kill switch. Hook the other wire to the Black wire with White stripe. This is how the stock kill switch works. When you ground the black/white wire to the black wire it kills the engine.

http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/support/dynatek_faq.aspx#610

Exactly and just make sure you have a good ground, if you have to grind off some of the powdercoat on the frame do it or you'll run into problems.